TechSpot

JetWay Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR Graphic Problems Please Help!

By DragonLordXL
Sep 7, 2005
  1. Hello All,

I have been having a problem with my video card ever since I got it; I am on my second one now. My first card after I got it loaded would give me a blank screen after the “Windows Loading” screen, to try and fix it I did a clean install of Windows XP Pro, updated the BIOS, updated all the drivers and swapped out my 350W PSU for a CoolMaster 430W PSU, none of which fixed it so I sent it back and got a new one.
    The new card works except I get discolored lines and in games I get a jumbled, i.e. triangles and lines, picture from time to time. I tried using different resolutions and refresh rates and swapping out monitors too but neither seem to help it. The card has its own power line with nothing else on it. The only thing that isn’t up to date i.e. from this year is the BIOS, the newest BIOS I could find was from 12/04/2003. If I go back to my old video card GeForce2 Ultra 64MB it works fine except for lag in games. Could this card be faulty too or am I just missing something. If any of you could help I would appreciate it greatly.

System Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2 (Build 2600)
    DirectX 9.0c
    Gigabyte 7ZXE VIA KT133A
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+
    SDRAM PC133 1.28GB
    JetWay Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR
    40GB SG 7200rpm
    30GB WD 7200rpm
    LG 24x10x40 CDRW
    LG 12x DVD
    SB Live!
    3Com NIC

2. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

The only suggestion I see,
    have you updated the via chipset?
    Try this link Via arena Hyperion
    Select your OS, read through to find the right one for you.
    I hope this helps
    G,Luck

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

You motherboard only supports up to 4X AGP, and you are plugging in an 8X AGP card. Now that will card will (should) automatically be scaling itself down to 1.5v (4X) automatically, but don't expect to get full functionality.

The things you will want to be sure to increase you chances of using it:
    1. Assuming you have already done your bios and vid card drivers, do as SOcRatEs says above, try updating your chipset drivers.
    2. You mention that you have the additional power cord plugged into the video card, but does your current psu have enough juice to power your system with the addition of that card? Tell us about your PSU. Watts/maker etc.

4. DragonLordXL

DragonLordXL TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have updated my VIA Chipset and my PSU is a CoolMaster eXtreme Power 430W (400W Continuous power), ATI recommends at least a 300W PSU. I have everything set to use 4X AGP.

5. SOcRatEs

Cool enuff

I'm certian it's possible to get two faulty cards, but not real likely.
    Do you have another system you could try the vid card in?
    I would suggest a visit to Guru3d
    They have extensive utilities and articles thay may prove to help.
    G'Luck

6. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

I agree with Don. You're motherboard isnt a good match for the card. You can get a newer better one for $40-50. You could upgrade the board, processor and RAM for about $150. That would really unleash the video card.
    Also make sure the video card isnt overheating. The 9800's can run very hot.

7. DragonLordXL

So I am thinking more and more that I might want to just upgrade then, any suggestions on a good CPU/mobo combo for not to much kind of doing all of this on a tight budget, but can always buy it a part at a time. I do a lot of gaming and would like to go for the 64bit CPU’s, any feed back I would appreciate it.

8. SOcRatEs

You may want to start a new thread in "CPUs, Chipsets and Mobos"
    As most ppl will not know this thread has changed...
    "any suggestions on a good CPU/mobo combo "
    You'll get alot of good suggestions...
    Though I'm sorry the previous prob could not be solved another way..

G'Luck with the new system

9. DragonLordXL

Ok let me see if this makes any since to you all. I have left my comp on for about 24hours or just a little bit more now to see if over heating of the card could be the cause and it seems that doing that has fixed the graphic problem I was having, does that seem right or just a fluke?

10. vegasgmc

The card usually wont overheat unless you stress it with something like gaming. Ine way to test is to take the side of the case off and let a large fan bow into it while you game.

11. DragonLordXL

Ok, I got the card to work for about a day and then thought I would take advantage of the duel monitor capabilities of the card and that even work for almost a day then all of a sudden it decided to give me the discolored lines and a scrambled screen in games. I tried unhooking the second monitor and even putting a fan next to the open side of the case and nothing. The problem is there as soon as the computer starts up. I have tried removing the card and hitting the slot with compressed air and then reinstalling the card to see if that would fix it. I did notice that the color on the monitor connected to the DVI port isn't the same, slightly off color, as the VGA port monitor, could this be because of the adapter I used to hook a VGA into a DVI, or could the DVI be the cause of this whole thing. When I first had a problem with the card I was trying to use the DVI port to use duel monitors then I went to a single monitor and walked away for a few hours to let my head clear and came back to it working; now I went back to trying the duel monitors and bam the problem again. I am going to let the comp just run for a couple of hours now and come back and see if its working like it did last time, either way I will post the results here when I find out. Thanks for all the help.

12. vegasgmc

Most video cards have a 3 year warranty. Can you take advantage of that?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.