Jimmy Kimmel skit convinces people that their old iPhone is the new iPhone 7

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re familiar with late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, you’re well aware of just how much he enjoys filming pranks – especially those related to Apple devices – for his show. In his latest segment, he sent a camera crew out to Hollywood Boulevard and asked people if they wanted to try out the iPhone 7.

The catch, of course, is that the iPhone 7 hasn’t even been released yet. How did they get around this hurdle? Simple – they took the person’s existing iPhone, cleaned the screen, put it in a new case and told them it was a prototype iPhone 7 that had all of their existing settings thanks to a new “instant transfer” feature.

The results are, predictably, quite hilarious and highlight why most people have no business “reviewing” tech gadgets (or maybe it’s that people will say anything to be on TV?). Worse yet, some were even convinced to hand over $50 in order to keep the “new” phone.

If you liked this video, you might also enjoy this segment where people are told that a $20 Casio watch is the new Apple Watch or this clip in which people willingly give up their passwords on national television.

Apple's iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus arrive on September 16.

Permalink to story.

The catch, of course, is that the iPhone 7 hasn’t even been released yet. How did they get around this hurdle? Simple – they took the person’s existing iPhone, cleaned the screen, put it in a new case and told them it was a prototype iPhone 7 that had all of their existing settings thanks to a new “instant transfer” feature.

The results are, predictably, quite hilarious and highlight why most people have no business “reviewing” tech gadgets (or maybe it’s that people will say anything to be on TV?).

So, let me get this straight.

They dolled up olds phones to make them look like new phones, invented a perfectly plausible narrative, and somehow this highlights why normal folk have no business reviewing tech gadgets?

Normal folks don't review tech gadgets, normally it's done by people that have been at it at least a couple tries and do their research before.

That aside, and as @davislane1 says, they clean it up make a perfectly plausible scheme and people of course buy it, it's even less far fetched than when someone calls you or writes up an email phishing for information.

And this video shows why I don't care for apple... People will believe anything you tell them... Andorid ftw.
Yeah because there is no way that something like this happened to an "Andorid" user... because every last one of them have sky high IQ...

The best ones were when they went around asking Star Wars related questions as if they were UN issues.

The mentality of your average cell phone user. Probably could do this with pretty much 99% of cell phone users.

Highly doubtful. Hand me a new Android phone and I can probably tell you what it is unless it's junk.

The results are, predictably, quite hilarious and highlight why most people have no business “reviewing” tech gadgets (or maybe it’s that people will say anything to be on TV?).

They dolled up olds phones to make them look like new phones, invented a perfectly plausible narrative, and somehow this highlights why normal folk have no business reviewing tech gadgets?
These "normal" people believed that the screens were better, the phone was lighter and that you could transfer all their data and details to a new phone in seconds without needing to get past any security... the first girl was even ready to unlock her phone despite not even questioning the wisdom of doing so. I'm guessing most of us on this site wouldn't fall for this as we are in no way your average tech muggles as these people clearly are.

These "normal" people believed that the screens were better, the phone was lighter and that you could transfer all their data and details to a new phone in seconds without needing to get past any security... the first girl was even ready to unlock her phone despite not even questioning the wisdom of doing so.

Of course they did. This gag uses the same beginner level persuasion and influence tactics that car salesmen use to get minivan shoppers to leave the lot with a brand new Porsche. What's not being shown is all the cut footage of the multitude of people who didn't lose their critical faculties because of camera crew hypnosis.

I'm guessing most of us on this site wouldn't fall for this as we are in no way your average tech muggles as these people clearly are.

90% of this site's regulars fall for these tactics all the time. Simply take a look at all the Android vs Apple comments that automatically get posted to this article that claim their phone is better because of (a) features the other people don't care about, or (b) that "my" peer group is better than "their" peer group:

And this video shows why I don't care for apple... People will believe anything you tell them... Andorid ftw.

Suggesting you can't be sold is the first sign that you have been.

Of course they did. This gag uses the same beginner level persuasion and influence tactics that car salesmen use to get minivan shoppers to leave the lot with a brand new Porsche. What's not being shown is all the cut footage of the multitude of people who didn't lose their critical faculties because of camera crew hypnosis.

90% of this site's regulars fall for these tactics all the time. Simply take a look at all the Android vs Apple comments that automatically get posted to this article that claim their phone is better because of (a) features the other people don't care about, or (b) that "my" peer group is better than "their" peer group:
I'm thinking more and more in the Microsoft hate-wagon.

Don't feed the troll, it's one of those hardcore fanboys that when you say something that's not positive to them you are immediately the opposite fanboy side.

anyone on techspot is not going to be remotely close to the "average cellphone user"
Yeah I wouldn't run to this kind of assumptions so fast, there is enough fanboy-ism around to make anything gullible (Example above), with really basic troll like replies.

I'm seriously not understanding how not anyone posting in here even thought about the African princes sending emails about needing your help or mr smith from the UN giving you a fund. When it's really too good to be true and normally is, someone is falling for it. That's how phishing scams occur.

If it was me I would have just walked on by but yeah I get what you mean about the film crew effecting the outcome.

I tend to make my own judgements on the things I purchase rather then follow a crowd and I don't fall for gimmicks either... Sales people hate me, its funny how fast their attitude towards me changes when they realize they cant influence me into spending more or getting the device or item they are being told to push by there bosses.

The saddest part is that this isn't even limited to Apple users, but most cell phone users in general..

Makes me think of a cook I work worth, struggling to get by on $12 an hour, who somehow got $700+ together to get a new Note 7. He doesn't play games, or use his phone for anything other than texting, calls, and facebook -- but for some reason he just needed this ridiculously priced device.

And here I am on my $9 Moto E 4g, which still fits in my pocket and has a cheap rubberized body that has survived countless drops, and it works completely fine for practically everything I need it for -- albeit with a few ms delay when doing normal tasks, compared with $500+ flagships.

I want to know how many people didn't fall for it.

Probably a bunch, but they didn't make the cut that was shown to audiences. People also don't like disagreeing with someone when they put a camera in their face.

And this isn't even considering that he very easily could have just walked up to people and said 'Want to be on Jimmy Kimmel? Pretend you think this is the new iPhone, ok?'

And this stunt has been done before - probably with the last iPhone and the one before that.

Get new stuff, Jimmy.

I think kimmel (or someone else, probably kimmel) did this last year making people think theyre iphone 5 was a 6 and they fell for it......now the same is happening from 6 to 7 rofl......this truly shows how much iphones change with each release........they don't LOL. how did they not check for the headphone jack wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

No. They took a microfiber cloth to the screen and tossed it in a cheap case.

Probably a bunch, but they didn't make the cut that was shown to audiences. People also don't like disagreeing with someone when they put a camera in their face.

And this isn't even considering that he very easily could have just walked up to people and said 'Want to be on Jimmy Kimmel? Pretend you think this is the new iPhone, ok?'

And this stunt has been done before - probably with the last iPhone and the one before that.

Get new stuff, Jimmy.
yea, I also wonder that. People playing dumb that is.

Back