Job Interview

astra

Hi guys.

I have received a letter with an invitation to the interview.
The job is IT technician in some University.
They do not have high requiments. About A+ level.

I have A+ and just finished my 2 years CCNA course and got the certificate.
Unfortunately, I have little experience (I have much more experience with cisco routers and switches, since we had 20 routers and 20 switches in the class and I messed with them a lot during 2 years of studying). I have 3 computers at home, all of them interconnected. I have build a couple of PCs to my friends, based on their needs.
And I had some 6 month of voluntary experience in the college, helping looking after PCs.

Every little bit helps.
So I am here to ask you for a piece of advice.
What would you suggest?
What kind of tech questions I might be asked?
Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Regards,
A.

No ideas at all?
Please guys.
Some of you have passed similar interviews.
Please share the experience.

Would really help to know exactly what type of position it is. I'd also closely look at the position description to see what they have as your expected duties. I've done quite a bit of interviewing for positions here at my job and I tend to base my questions closely to the PD.

IT technician?

Lokking after PCs in the University?

I wish you would tell me anout questions like:

What is the most important thing when you are ghosting 15 PCs?
Answer: all of them have the same hardware config.

This is the type of question I would like you to supply me with.

IT technicain is a fairly vague job description..my guess is it relates to 1st level support considering you have very little experinece....
mostly this would envolve trouble shooting problems on the phone and esculating those you can't resolve to 2nd or 3rd level support..its very hard to guess..my advice would be to research the postion by talking to someone who works there..if you want the job this kind of positvie action will stand you better in you interview than anything technical..no matter what company you start with more than likely you would have to adapt to new systems there fore IT managers are generally looking for people in junior postions to show initiative and the ability to learn..don't let your lack of experience throw you..turn it in your favour by illustarting that you are enthusiastic and willing to learn....

CCNA cert is a really good quailfication this will stand hugely in your favour.

They will probably ask you about default gateways, proxy servers, etc all of which you will have no problems with Considering your ccna certified.

They will probably ask about your OS experience, w2k xp etc..all basic stuff

they will also want you to show problem solving skills..

I doubt that the first interview will be too techincal the tech test will probably come in the 2nd one....so use the first interview to get some details on what exactly your role will be..this will give you time research..and most interviews like to be asked questions so long as they are relevant...

best of luck to you and i hope all goes well...don't be too worried if you dont get it..interviews are something that need practise..

:( Sorry about that - but keep your head up - there's something out there for you

That's okay man!! Keep trying. No one makes it on the first jump. Not even Neo.

Here's my suggestion. This may not be what you expect but here we go. Don't go into an interview expecting the type of question that they would ask. Technical knowledge is important but more than anything else is how much do you believe in yourself, how much confidence do you have in yourself. It's your attitude more than your knowledge. Now don't be mistaken, I'm not saying go into an interview bluffing about what you know. Knowing what you are talking about is also very important. It also gives you confident in what you are saying. Bottom line is do you know your stuff. Are you confident enough to do the job. Keep it up. A positive attitude is what going to separate you from the masses.

cT

Back