John Oliver's hilarious interview with Edward Snowden on surveillance and **** pics

Jos

Staff

There’s been no shortage of debate since Edward Snowden exposed the depth of the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs. It is still actively making headlines roughly two years after the first set of documents became public. Regardless of your position on the matter, the fact is that despite all the talk about online security and privacy and proposed reforms, NSA surveillance may still be too technical a subject for the general public to really care about.

That’s the point HBO’s John Oliver wanted to drive home in a recent one-on-one interview with Snowden himself -- a major coup for the comedian.

When asked about his motivation for the leaks, Snowden admitted he was afraid this was going to be a three-day story that everyone would forget about. But the now infamous whistleblower says he felt vindicated when everyone in the wold recognized this as a problem that we need to do something about.

Oliver begged to differ on the “everyone” part. HBO had sent camera crews to Times Square in New York to ask people about their stance on mass surveillance and Edward Snowden’s role on bringing it to the limelight. The takeaway: Snowden might be able to go home, because, in Oliver’s words, “it seems like no one knows who the fuck you are and what the fuck you did.”

Oliver’s proposed solution is to move the conversation into a different context, something that people can feel outraged about: can the NSA see my dick pics?

There’s plenty of humor throughout the interview but it also manages to explain in layman’s terms how the NSA’s different programs work to get a hold of your data. Oliver isn’t afraid of asking more serious questions either, on whether he actually read every document that was leaked, and saying Snowden should own up to the “fuck up” that was having some information published by the media without being properly redacted, putting some important intelligence at risk.

John Oliver's ultimate goal is to bring the topic of mass surveilance to the general conciousness as The Patriot Act is up for reauthorization on June 1.

Wrapping up the interview, Oliver asked if people should just stop sending dick pics, to which Snowden argued “You shouldn’t change your behavior because a government agency somewhere is doing the wrong thing. If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much.” In case that wasn't clear enough, no, it shouldn't be okay to justify the government's invasion of your privacy because "you have nothing to hide".

Permalink to story.

“You shouldn’t change your behavior because a government agency somewhere is doing the wrong thing. If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much.”
We don't care about those values? maybe... or maybe we're not very afraid. Most likely it's the latter because...

in Oliver’s words, “it seems like no one knows who are and what you did."

Snowden seems to think the American public hasn't changed their behavior because we're 'standing up for our values' I'd put my money on the American public treating Snowden as "a three-day story that everyone would forget about."

Sucks for Snowden... you can bet the NSA won't forget what he did. And here we are... carrying on like nothing happened, saying 'screw the NSA' in internet forums and not getting visits from Obama's secret police.

Onto the important news.... Go Badgers!

Yeah, I've seen it. And it's kinda sad this discussion is limited to the US citizens. As a citizen of EU and NATO member country I got nothing to say. Well, at least for a second there we can all feel like a famous celebrity, say JLaw, knowing our asses are circulating on the internets.

It's really disappointing to hear how uninformed the public is about Snowden and these programs, yet they care so dearly about the security of their **** pics. Wanna download the contents of my computer? Sure, no problem! But don't you dare download any of my **** pics!

Sadly, we continue to either miss or ignore the point of it all. Slowly, but surely we watch our rights and freedoms being whittled away with a gaggle of excuses that simply don't stand the test of time. One only needs to read about how the Nazi's did the same as well as the Cambodians, Soviets, etc, etc. Joe Stalin famously once stated that the USSR was getting more like American while America continues to get more like the USSR. A simple review of Supreme Court reversals over the past 20 years confirms it, yet here we sit, oblivious to it all.

“You shouldn’t change your behavior because a government agency somewhere is doing the wrong thing. If we sacrifice our values because we’re afraid, we don’t care about those values very much.”
We don't care about those values? maybe... or maybe we're not very afraid. Most likely it's the latter because...

in Oliver’s words, “it seems like no one knows who are and what you did."

Snowden seems to think the American public hasn't changed their behavior because we're 'standing up for our values' I'd put my money on the American public treating Snowden as "a three-day story that everyone would forget about."

Sucks for Snowden... you can bet the NSA won't forget what he did. And here we are... carrying on like nothing happened, saying 'screw the NSA' in internet forums and not getting visits from Obama's secret police.

Great depth of analysis, maybe it's too much beer. The government is spying on everyone and spending billions doing it and noone cares, great attitude-what 'free' country where there is liberty and justice for all?

I saw your post and was thinking "is he going to plug the badgers?" and sure enough it happened!

The only aspect of this entire "program" that I agree with, is the metadata business. Pick known, bad-guy phone numbers, and track everybody who calls them. Simple. The rest of it, and it's a LOT, both foreign and domestic, is totally unacceptable. Makes America a global pariah, viewed as a fascist, lawless country. It's not an unjust opinion, and It has to stop.

Great depth of analysis, maybe it's too much beer. The government is spying on everyone and spending billions doing it and noone cares, great attitude-what 'free' country where there is liberty and justice for all?

if by beer you mean 'common sense' ;)

that's not my attitude, that's what Oliver found just by walking around New York. People don't even know, and it's pretty easy to assume they don't care if they don't even care enough to read the news about it.

It's not hilarious, it's pitiful.

I'm sorry for Snowden he had to participate in this potty humor "interview".

It's not hilarious, it's pitiful.

I'm sorry for Snowden he had to participate in this potty humor "interview".

lol@he HAD to participate...

Ed would have to be a complete fool to meet with someone flying into Russia from the US while still in hiding, and NOT know that the interviewer was a comedian with his own TV show. ;)

The only thing pitiful here is your comment.

Back