TechSpot

Joining 2 computers to correspond with each other in the same house.

By gfredom119
Sep 21, 2008
  1. HI! i'm new here and i'm not as computer savey as some . my older system is Windows XP home edition & my new one is windows VISTA. i'm still on a dial-up
    connection and would like to use the same phone line for both systems so they work together . when i have AOL connected with both systems, i can't send messages back and forth. my XP system saves & changes all my files in a "lnk" mode . have any ideas ?

2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

please clarify: which system does your dial-up line connect to?

Not sure what you mean. What messages? back and forth between what? You mean you can't do some AOL messaging thing? Do you get any sign of internet connection on either machine?

Do you mean the 3 character filename extension (e.g. filename.ext where ext is the extension ) when you refer lnk mode? These are "shortcuts" that point to the actual file. Are the originals disappearing? sorry, am not clear what you mean here

/**** Edit ****/
    Ooops. I just noticed you posted your question in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. You;ll need to repost it in a tech forum (Storage and Networking Forum should do)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.