Journalist Matthew Keys receives 24-month prison sentence for aiding Anonymous

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Former Reuters journalist Matthew Keys has been sentenced to two years in federal prison for his alleged involvement in helping the hacking group Anonymous gain access to the Los Angeles Times’ website.

Keys, who contends he is innocent and was simply working on an article about Anonymous instead of helping them, was facing up to 25 years behind bars. Instead, he received a 24-month sentence followed by two years of supervised release.

In 2013, Keys was indicted by the US Justice Department which claimed he provided login credentials that allowed Anonymous members to gain access to the LA Times’ website. Someone used the credentials to change the headline of a story from “Pressure Builds in House to Pass Tax-Cut Package” to “Pressure Builds in House to Elect CHIPPY 1337,” which is a reference to another hacking collective.

The headline remained live on the LA Times’ site for approximately 40 minutes before editors noticed and corrected it.

Keys said on Twitter shortly after the conviction that he and his legal team plan on filing a motion to stay the sentence. In a post on Medium, Keys said he is innocent and didn’t ask for this fight but hopes to bring about positive change to rules and regulations that govern online conduct.

Supporters point to the absurdity of dated laws that put Keys at risk of spending 25 years in prison for simply being allegedly associated with modifying a headline on a website. One Twitter support said it was insane that there are rapists and murderers doing less time.

Keys is scheduled to surrender on June 15.

Image courtesy Rich Pedroncelli, Associated Press

Permalink to story.

Welcome to America, where you are better off killing someone than stealing movies.
Which is really sad.

Some person here in CT gave their baby whiskey or something, for whatever reason. Obviously the baby died. Guy only gets a few years. The I read another story about an IP infringement, and it looked liked a 10+ year conviction for running a small seed box.

Only in 'Murica.

Which is really sad.

Some person here in CT gave their baby whiskey or something, for whatever reason. Obviously the baby died. Guy only gets a few years. The I read another story about an IP infringement, and it looked liked a 10+ year conviction for running a small seed box.

Only in 'Murica.
If this guy actually got the 25 years, I could understand why you're going on about lack of justice.

The guy got a deuce. Run on about that, not simply the joy of inflating your ePinion.

The clowns here think there should be no legal jeopardy for illegals acts on line. Or for that matter, nothing done online should be illegal.

Why not just shut up, and run for congress? I'm sure they'll be great progress afoot with you in the Capitol!

Which is really sad.

Only in 'Murica.
If this guy actually got the 25 years, I could understand why you're going on about lack of justice.

The guy got a deuce. Run on about that, not simply the joy of inflating your ePinion.

The clowns here think there should be no legal jeopardy for illegals acts on line. Or for that matter, nothing done online should be illegal.

Why not just shut up, and run for congress? I'm sure they'll be great progress afoot with you in the Capitol!

Oh, these moaning mongoloids want justice..for anyone *except* pseudo-anarchist liberals like this millennial ******* of a reporter. These social justice warriors should get a pass, you see.

Oh, these moaning mongoloids want justice..for anyone *except* pseudo-anarchist liberals like this millennial ******* of a reporter. These social justice warriors should get a pass, you see.
I would have gone with the more pejorative and perfunctory, "SJW's". Typing it out only adds to their self importance...

Right. I can't talk about the original 25 year pursuit. God forbid I talk about anything earlier in the case, especially in a comments section.

But yes, considering he only has 24 months now he just needs to take it. If anything I'd rather see time added on for that for being greedy.

Right?! I totally said that.

Right. I can't talk about the original 25 year pursuit. God forbid I talk about anything earlier in the case, especially in a comments section.
Virtually everything in Fed Title 18 is 5 years minimum, and up to $250.000 dollars fine. I don't see the point of reacting to, or sensationalizing, a possible maximum sentence as a platform to attack the justice system as a whole. So, when some other rookie journalist starts spouting inflated predictions of doom and protracted incarceration, is it altogether necessary for "Chicken Little" to start a mini-revolution?

Absolutely, positively, you can "comment" in the "comments section". In fact, where would I be without you?:p

But yes, considering he only has 24 months now he just needs to take it. If anything I'd rather see time added on for that for being greedy.....[ ]....
Well yeah, a deuce at "club fed" should net a "camp out", nothing with too much barbed wire.

OTOH, when these clowns start trying to hack something like the Pentagon, or Langley, then perhaps it is time to level those treason and espionage charges, and do the best to make them stick, long term.

Last edited:
Does anyone believe he will actually serve the full 24 months? Let's have a show of hands.

Does anyone believe he will actually serve the full 24 months? Let's have a show of hands.
Assuming nothing else happens, fed time is minimum 85% of the sentence. With no successful appeal or clemency of any kind, that would be 21 months, give or take.

That's assuming he never tries on a body bag.
Judging by the looks of him, he'll probably just need a few band-aids for his behind, now and then.:eek:

(You do realize a two year fed bit for white collar crime doesn't exactly land you in a super-max, right)?

IIRC, this is where they sent John Dean: https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/alf/

FCI_Allenwood_Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Back