JPR: GPU shipments up sequentially in Q3, Intel strengthens its lead

Jos

Jon Peddie Research has released its latest report on the graphics market, announcing that Q3 2013 was the second quarter in a row to show a gain in shipments, up 1.6% quarter-to-quarter. Although sales growth is always good news, JPR follows up noting that’s quite lower than the average quarter-to-quarter increase of 6.5% for the last decade, and the market is still down 8.8% compared to the same quarter last year.

As far as the big guys are concerned, AMD’s overall unit shipments decreased 4.2% quarter-to-quarter, while Intel’s total shipments increased 3.5% sequentially and Nvidia was up 2.3%. That includes both discrete and integrated graphics. Individually, total discrete GPU shipments were mostly flat from last quarter with a gain of 0.12%, and down 18.8% from the same quarter a year ago.

Market share this quarter Market share last quarter Unit change quarter to quarter Share difference quarter to quarter Market share last year
AMD 20.7% 22.0% -4.2% -1.3% 21.0%
Intel 63.0% 61.8% 3.5% 1.1% 60.0%
Nvidia 16.3% 16.2% 2.3% 0.12% 18.6%
Total 100% 100% 1.6%   100.0%

In terms of total market share Intel now holds a 63% thanks to it’s dominant position with integrated GPUs -- 99% of their non-server processors have graphics. AMD is in a distant second with a 20.7% share, down from 22% last quarter and down from 21% a year ago. Nvidia takes the third spot with 16.3%, up just slightly from last quarter’s 16.2% and down from 18.6% the same quarter a year ago, and VIA is now out of the picture.

Here are some more takeaways from JPR’s latest report on the graphics market:

• AMD’s shipments of desktop heterogeneous GPU/CPUs, I.e. APUs, jumped 27.8% from Q2 but declined 21.3% in notebooks. AMD’s discrete desktop shipments declined 3.1%, and notebook discrete shipments declined 4.5%. The  company’s overall PC graphics shipments decreased 4.5%.
  • Intel’s desktop processor-graphics EPG shipments decreased from last quarter by 1.1%, and Notebooks increased by 5.1%. The company’s overall PC graphics shipments increased 3.5%.
  • Nvidia’s desktop discrete shipments were up 8.2% from last quarter; however, the company’s notebook discrete shipments decreased 3.3%. The company’s overall PC graphics shipments increased 2.3%.
  • Year-to-year this quarter AMD’s overall PC shipments declined 8.5%, Intel dropped 2.7%, Nvidia declined 18.7%, and VIA fell 82.4% from last year.
  • Total discrete GPU (desktop and notebook) shipments were roughly flat from the last quarter (up 0.12%) and down 18.8% from last year for the same quarter due to the same problems plaguing the entire PC industry. Overall the trend for discrete GPUs is down with a CAGR from 2012 to 2016 of -5.7%.
  • Ninety nine percent of Intel’s non-server processors have graphics, and over 67% of AMD’s non-server processors contain integrated graphics; AMD still ships IGPs.

Permalink to story.

Oh, did not know Intel is making GPUs, ups I understand ... included in their CPUs .. well I own one with integrated graphics .. but I also have a dedicated GPU, in practice the integrated one is disabled because I just can't use both. If where possible I was willing to pay for a CPU without integrated GPU, sad Intel did not offer the option. Wasted resources .. & money !

Quite impressive for AMD, although market share & most affordable usually go hand in hand. IGP/APU numbers are also diluting real GPU sales and market share numbers, I would love to see Steam's survey of GPU's and what the majority of their customers are using.
AMD throws their APU's on everything.

Oh, did not know Intel is making GPUs, ups I understand ... included in their CPUs .. well I own one with integrated graphics .. but I also have a dedicated GPU, in practice the integrated one is disabled because I just can't use both. If where possible I was willing to pay for a CPU without integrated GPU, sad Intel did not offer the option. Wasted resources .. & money !

On the contrary, I would be willing to pay for a Integrated GPU (on CPU die) as long as, I can have a switchable solution, I.e. when I am not doing anything intensive one could use Integrated GPU, and for graphic intensive tasks switch to addon graphics card. Saves power, and one would have a lot cooler PC.

Back