Judge says Apple will face lawsuit over phone-switching iMessage issue

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Apple may have released a fix for the phone-switching iMessage fiasco, but it looks like the company will have to face a federal lawsuit filed by former iPhone owner Adrienne Moore over the issue. The lawsuit claims Apple failed to inform its customers that the iMessage messaging system would block them from receiving messages from other iOS users if they switch to a non-Apple mobile device like an Android or a Windows Phone smartphone.

Introduced back in 2011, iMessage allows iPhone users to communicate over data networks and Wi-Fi instead of their respective telecom networks. To achieve this, the service keeps track of users' phone numbers. However, after a user switches from an iPhone to another device without turning off the service, iMessages sent from other iPhones are routed to their deactivated iPhone, rather than being delivered as normal text messages to their active phone.

Moore experienced just this when she switched to a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone from an iPhone 4 under her existing Verizon Wireless contract in April. She says that the problem led to disruptions in her wireless service contract, and violated a California unfair competition law.

US District Judge Lucy Koh believes Moore deserves a chance to prove her claims. "Plaintiff does not have to allege an absolute right to receive every text message in order to allege that Apple's intentional acts have caused an actual breach or disruption of the contractual relationship", Koh said.

For its part, Apple said it never promised that its iMessage service and Messages application would recognize when a user switched to a different platform. "Apple takes customer satisfaction extremely seriously, but the law does not provide a remedy when, as here, technology simply does not function as plaintiff subjectively believes it should", the company said.

Permalink to story.

As much as I would love to hate on Apple, I think when someone reads "iMessage" it's obvious that it would never function outside of the crapple ecosystem :p

Apple says: "Apple takes customer satisfaction extremely seriously". They also said "Apple takes security very seriously" when it's iCloud was recently compromised. Oh yes?
What Apple also wants to say but can't publically is: "Apple takes a dim view of users jumping ship to rival platforms and manufacturers so if you do we couldn't care less about you any more and you're on your own. Suffer baby".
Well done Adrienne, screw 'em, we're (at least I am) rooting for you but unfortunately Apples overpaid, fancy pants mouthpieces will likely chew you up and spit you out although I sincerely hope not.

I think you're missing the point. These were regular text messages that Apple was redirecting to iMessages. So once she no longer had an iPhone of course iMessages won't work - she just wants to get them as regular text messages. Basically they auto enroll you in the iMessages, and leave it turned on even after you get a new phone, so you can't get them as text messages on your new phone.

Since using an iphone (and simultaneously others) for about 5 years, I have switched numbers (guessing) 6 times between dozens of different handsets. Not once have I experienced a loss of a text when moving the number between I Phones, Android based phones, or windows phones. I am very curious what others are doing to "lock" their number to iMessage.

Since using an iphone (and simultaneously others) for about 5 years, I have switched numbers (guessing) 6 times between dozens of different handsets. Not once have I experienced a loss of a text when moving the number between I Phones, Android based phones, or windows phones. I am very curious what others are doing to "lock" their number to iMessage.
You're missing the point. It doesn't affect you if you switch numbers as iMessage wouldn't be registered to the new number. It only affects people who keep the same number but swap platforms.

@Jgates603 - I think you missed something. He said he switched around between 3 different platforms.

iMessages you have to specifically tie to your Apple account, if you want to send a regular SMS message to another phone you can still do that completely outside of iMessages.

@Jgates603 - I think you missed something. He said he switched around between 3 different platforms.

iMessages you have to specifically tie to your Apple account, if you want to send a regular SMS message to another phone you can still do that completely outside of iMessages.

The second you change your number when switching to another platform, this is a non issue. It's about someone he keeps the same number they had when they had an iPhone. I can tell you for 100% fact that I experienced this issue myself last month when switching to a Windows Phone. My phone choice is another topic all together. I called Apple, requested my number to be removed from iMessage and just like that no more issue when tested. The problem is you can't know if you don't receive a text if the other person doesn't call you or ask you why you didn't respond. There could be an untold number of people that have an iPhone themselves and tried to text me and I would have no clue. It's all about their iMessage system properly removing your number, which I've heard of inconsistencies with that process.

The second you change your number when switching to another platform, this is a non issue. It's about someone he keeps the same number they had when they had an iPhone. I can tell you for 100% fact that I experienced this issue myself last month when switching to a Windows Phone. My phone choice is another topic all together. I called Apple, requested my number to be removed from iMessage and just like that no more issue when tested. The problem is you can't know if you don't receive a text if the other person doesn't call you or ask you why you didn't respond. There could be an untold number of people that have an iPhone themselves and tried to text me and I would have no clue. It's all about their iMessage system properly removing your number, which I've heard of inconsistencies with that process.
I have switched handsets and used all handsets in the past WITHOUT the number change. I have them in front of me. I could change them right now with no loss or lock. My texting is important, so if I don't get one, people call with the message. So I know I have not missed any.

This person is just trolling for free money. I have made switches from Apple 4 to Samsung S3, S4 and now iPhone 6. I like both brand phones so am not biased or anti-anyone. I have never had an issue with iMessage.

Back