Jumping Ship, P4 To AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders

I have been looking around at AMD CPU's,,Strickly on the Cost to performance ratio. I want my PC to be able to drag a house down the street (LOL), and in a P4,, it takes ALOT of Money ya know? I'm looking to spend $300 USD or so.
Simply put what "core" is best? outside of the 64bit AMD's
Barton,Thorton,Thoroughbred or Applebred??

I have chosen the MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR Motherboard.
And i am sticking with ThermalTake for the Cooler
Any help from the AMD gurus is really appreciated.

Thank you. ;)

Get a Barton. It has more cache then the other cores & has a faster FSB out-of-the-box. If you're the overclocking type, then that's another story.

Applebred is the new Duron so you might want to keep away from that one.

Thoroughbred & Thorton are equal when it comes to performance but the Thorton runs a bit cooler since it has a bigger die ( same size as the Barton ) thus more surface contact with the heatsink to transfer heat.

Things might be a bit different when you take bang-per-buck as a consideration & I'm not aware of the current prices so I can't really help you there.

$300USD? man why not get and AMD Athlon64 3200+, 1Mb L2 cache and has the capability to go 64 bit. Both Clawhammer and Newcastle cores are excellent. The Barton 3200+ is the best stock, but a moblitity barton 2500+ can go up to 2.9GHZ and have a 100C heat limit. And for the mobo, may i suggest an Abit Nf7-S or Asus A7N8X-E?

Thanks for the Sugjestion SomeKid007,,the $300 is for both MOBO and CPU and maybe some DDR aswell. I agree with you the Athlon64 3200+ is the way to go but its too rich for my blood as of yet.

Thanks again :grinthumb

No Problem,You'll have to fight my girl over my old P4 setup ,,LOL its hers when i get my AMD setup.

Ya see, (LOL) she's got this POS Lock-box of a Compaq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back