Just 23% of people now prefer watching TV shows on televisions

midian182

Staff member

Watching TV shows on devices other than tradition televisions is becoming ever more widespread, and the speed at which people’s viewing habits are changing is increasing. According to a recent survey, only 23 percent of people now prefer to use a TV for watching shows, a drop of 55 percent during the past year.

The 2017 Digital Consumer Survey, from business strategy and technology consulting firm Accenture, asked 26,000 consumers in 26 countries how they prefer to consume their TV content.

42 percent picked their laptop or desktop as the favorite device for watching TV shows, an increase of 32 percent from last year. And 13 percent said they prefer using smartphones, up from 10 percent a year earlier.

People’s preference for watching sports games on TVs has also fallen, down to 19 percent from 38 percent in the 2016 survey.

The findings have been described as “a very, very big surprise” by Mike Chapman, Accenture Strategy managing director and head of the company's global media and entertainment strategy practice. It was only back in 2014 when 65 percent of people indicated they preferred TV sets for watching shows.

The sharp decline over the last three years has been attributed to several factors, such as the rising popularity of video streaming services like Netflix, and the number of shows made available through streaming.

The ever-increasing quality of smartphones has also played a part in the shift away from television viewing. Handsets are now especially popular when it comes to watching short videos, with 41 percent of people admitting they would rather view the clips on a smartphone instead of a laptop, desktop, or TV.

“We all see people now, whether they’re on trains or walking down the street or standing in line, watching video clips,” said Chapman.

Unless TV manufacturers come up with a way to draw back viewers, expect more people to abandon traditional sets in favor of other devices. “TV manufacturers have to figure out how to add value to the experiences beyond resolution,” Chapman added.

Permalink to story.

Not sure if 'prefer' is the right word. If you're on a long train or bus ride you can't just bring your TV with you. I think people down right have something wrong with them if they say they prefer not to watch on a big television whilst sitting on a comfortable sofa. Or lying in bed and watching a nice big TV screen. If this survey actually was true to the bone, then nobody would even bother with cinemas. Where I live cinemas are still very much packed!

If they asked 100,000 people from each country this would be more reliable data. Was it 1000 random people per country? was it a certain age group? This just seems very incomplete. I hate watching shows and movies on my laptop, computer and especially a smartphone. The only time I watch shows on my laptop is when I'm on lunch break at work.

If they asked 100,000 people from each country this would be more reliable data. Was it 1000 random people per country? was it a certain age group? This just seems very incomplete. I hate watching shows and movies on my laptop, computer and especially a smartphone. The only time I watch shows on my laptop is when I'm on lunch break at work.
Always take these kinds of surveys with a pinch of salt. 99% of them are not even worth the time reading they're so thumb sucked. The article doesn't even state who conducted the survey so how reliable can it be?

Not sure if 'prefer' is the right word. If you're on a long train or bus ride you can't just bring your TV with you. I think people down right have something wrong with them if they say they prefer not to watch on a big television whilst sitting on a comfortable sofa. Or lying in bed and watching a nice big TV screen. If this survey actually was true to the bone, then nobody would even bother with cinemas. Where I live cinemas are still very much packed!
Myself, and I'm sure 110% of the worlds population will agree that if watching your favourite show while lying flat on your with a packet of crisps and something to drink in front of a large hi-def TV is not an option, then some sort of mobile device will have to suffice. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine anybody turning off their TV just to watch a show on their mobile device instead. That's like saying "I need to go to a city 70 miles from here today but I need the exercise so I think I'll walk instead dragging out the car". Or... "I don't want to eat that thick, delicious, juicy fillet steak, I'd rather settle on that tasteless soya hamburger patty instead".

I'm having a serious problem believing this. There are 135 million homes in America. You're telling me that only 33 million of those homes prefer watching TV in the comfort of their living room? The other 102 million would rather watch it on an 8" tablet?

Not likely.

I think a better survey question would be, "How many of you watch TV on devices in addition to your home television set?"

And yet, the cable companies refuse to return to any form of competitive operations ...... Soon they will go the way of the Video Rental Stores ......

Always take these kinds of surveys with a pinch of salt. 99% of them are not even worth the time reading they're so thumb sucked. The article doesn't even state who conducted the survey so how reliable can it be?
Probably a mobile phone company who also makes really bad TVs.

Do you prefer to watch shows on this super hd fast large light mobile phone with infinite 5g or on this 12" TV screen that requires you to run on a treadmill and sing justin bieber songs.

Same as breakfast is good for you studies

Accenture says: 'The sample in each country is representative of the online population'. I wonder what this means precisely, but it is interesting. If this is about population size, then I'm assuming that: this survey disregards people with no internet access who might have a TV; also China and India would dominate the figures.

Fake News. Looking at a 5 inch screen for TV? Naw

My son and daughter don't distinguish much between devices. I find my daughter watching on a 4" screen, and I don't get it, but when I offer that she watches on a tablet instead, it apparently doesn't matter to her.

Personally I find that I'm pretty comfortable watching on my 13" laptop sitting at the kitchen table.

Bit click-baity. I have my most comfortable chair in front of my largest screen with my best sound system and I can't wait to upgrade the TV to a UHD once Scorpio is released. Can't see anyone deciding to watch on their phone unless they have a **** telly. Or they like to avoid their parents.

This would help explain why every model of TV out there is 32", every smart phone has a 4" screen, and PC monitors are all 19" (just walk into any walmart, target, best buy or micro center and see). If consumer tech has taught us anything over the years it's "go small or go home".

Accenture says: 'The sample in each country is representative of the online population'. I wonder what this means precisely, but it is interesting. If this is about population size, then I'm assuming that: this survey disregards people with no internet access who might have a TV; also China and India would dominate the figures.

My son and daughter don't distinguish much between devices. I find my daughter watching on a 4" screen, and I don't get it, but when I offer that she watches on a tablet instead, it apparently doesn't matter to her.

Personally I find that I'm pretty comfortable watching on my 13" laptop sitting at the kitchen table.
I had a 9 inch Sony TV back in 73 and it was fine

This would help explain why every model of TV out there is 32", every smart phone has a 4" screen, and PC monitors are all 19" (just walk into any walmart, target, best buy or micro center and see). If consumer tech has taught us anything over the years it's "go small or go home".

You must live in Smallsville cause in our Wal-Mart all the TV's are BIG Big Big

Another article full of codswallop.
Why are large TV's being produced, certainly not just for 23% of the world's TV viewing public, and similar to what Skid has written, where, when, how and by whom was the survey conducted?

Another article full of codswallop.
Why are large TV's being produced, certainly not just for 23% of the world's TV viewing public.

People might prefer watching on a smaller device and still buy a TV. Most homes have TV's, but that doesn't mean that it's what most people use or what they prefer.

where, when, how and by whom was the survey conducted?

People expect to be spoon fed these days. More than that, the expect to learn information without even reading the article, which is the really baffling part. I mean, "The 2017 Digital Consumer Survey, from business strategy and technology consulting firm Accenture" already answers two of your questions.

If so, then 77% wasted good money on wide screen HDTVs this last year.
Remember: He who PAYS for the study gets the answer they seek :sigh:

Back