Just a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aman501

I'm a real newbie so please pardon my ignorance. I've just found an interest in computer hardware and wikipedia doesn't answer all my questions.

I was just looking at hard drives and on a high end one I saw SCSI ultra320 as the interface (this is the drive) As you can see it is an 80 pin hdd but how would one know if this would be compatible with a mobo?

Sorry if you find me annoying, just trying to learn here...

Everyone has to start someplace...

Depending on what the motherboard supports, you might either most likely want something like this, which is the Serial ATA interface, or this. the latter is an interface called Parallel ATA. Those are the two most common interfaces. What mobo were you looking at?

I really wasn't looking at any mobo in particular but when I look to see if I could find one with the ultra320 interface I couldn't find one.

It seems that Newegg doesn't sell any motherboards for consumers that support that interface anymore. If I'm not mistaken, I think that the SATA is just as fast as SCSI is.. but don't quote me on it.

According to" Building a PC fo Dummies", the SCSI , also known as "scuz-zee",are mostly found in network servers and high end graphics machine. They are expensive and difficult to configure. Read chapter 11 in the book for more info.:grinthumb

aman501 said:
I'm a real newbie so please pardon my ignorance. I've just found an interest in computer hardware and wikipedia doesn't answer all my questions.

I was just looking at hard drives and on a high end one I saw SCSI ultra320 as the interface (this is the drive) As you can see it is an 80 pin hdd but how would one know if this would be compatible with a mobo?

Sorry if you find me annoying, just trying to learn here...

There's no point spending that much money on a hard drive. I would look at the item that etgeek showed you.

Yea, serial ATA is the way to go... SCSI is just do damned expensive.

P.S. Yay 500th post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back