TechSpot

just a quick question on xp mce and max storage?

By resu
Aug 28, 2007
  1. Hi,

I remember reading a while back that windows could only support a certain amount of Gb s in one place on the master drive
    i think it was 160gb or something like that
    ive recently decided to build a media center pc and i have bought a 320gb sata drive to be the main and only (for now) drive
    I was just wondering what is the actual maximum size for the master drive in windows and what/ how how do i partition the drive as a fresh drive?

i think i know about partitioning but i am not sure .. usually id play it by ear but as the parts area arriving tonight and i have limited time to build it id like to get the questions out of the way 1st :D

thanks for your time

Cheers

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

No limit to drive capacity although it is more practical to split a large drive into the boot sector at say 25-30% (in your case say 100Gb) and data for the rest. You can create the partitions during the windows installation process.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The current limit is 750 MB. With the latest service pack and updates, there is rumored to be no limit, but there has always been a limit of some kind in the past just to prevent tomfoolery.

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Ah - so how did I stick a 1 Tb drive onto XP Pro? Blind ignorance must work sometimes.....

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I'd put the OS on a 20 gig partition and leave the rest for media storage. You'll have to tell MCE that you don't want stuff on the C drive, otherwise you'll only get a few hours of TV. But you won't run into any problems with that 320GB drive.

6. resu

resu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 172

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +422

I think your max is going to be around 2.x TB - it was the max I was able to do easily with a RAID5 setup. I could be wrong and had just done something incorrectly so it might actually be higher.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.