Just a very quick question regarding an incompatible CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi guys,

I now have in my house a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo, and 1GB DDR2 800 RAM, but I still need to purchase the processor (Core 2 E4300).

But I don't know if the mobo has a BIOS capable of recognizing the E4000 series CPU's. BIOS vF7 is compatible with the E4300, but it's possible that my mobo has the F6 version (I may be wrong hopefully).

What would happen if the BIOS F6 doesn't like my E4300? Would it boot? Or do I need to use a compatible CPU so I can flash the BIOS?

Regards :wave:

Go HERE and click on whichever revision your mobo is. Then, click on the cpu support list. It looks like you`re going to need the F7 bios.

Regards Howard :)

Gigabyte's site said:
Intel E4300(1.8GHz,2MB) F7

Thanks a lot for the link Howard. I just hope that my mobo has that F7 BIOS version, if not, IDK if I can start the PC with the E4300, so I can flash the BIOS to the newest revision.

I'm asking this because I saw this thread HERE. If that happens, then I should be able to flash the BIOS :)

Am I correct?

Yes, that`s the way I see it mate. Even with the wrong bios, I would`ve thought it`d boot up. It might not recognise your cpu properly and therefore give you the wrong cpu speed etc.

Let us know how it works out.

Regards Howard :)

I don't see why it wouldn't boot - it just might not load an OS or drivers right.
but then again.... I've seen stranger things....

Now I've got the CPU working :)
My mobo had the F6 BIOS, but it still managed to recognize the CPU properly.
Anyway, I upgraded the BIOS to the F8 version.

Thanks guys :grinthumb

I've gotta get back into C2D... my Athlon 64 is getting more and more hopelessly overvolted and overclocked. It's now at 1.625V (!!) and running at 2.65GHz. It gets up to around 45 Idle... I don't think it will last much more than about 3 months at this rate. And I'm still occasionally CPU-Limited. I never shoulda sold my old C2D... it was teh pwn.

1.625 volts!?!?! That's not good at all. :hotbounce :unch: :knock: :hotouch: :blackeye: :eek:

Doesn't it work on the standard 1.4 volts?

And thanks guys for all your help. I still need to tweak the system, but everything is working fine.

Regards =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back