Just built a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skutty

Hey again TechSpot,

I just built a brand new system, got everything set up and powered it up. The lights turn on, the fans spin and everything sounds right, but the monitor doesn't seem to be able to pick anything up. I've tried it on a CRT and LCD monitor, and with the onboard card (GeForce 6100) the video card (Radeon X300) and an old monitor card. Below are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-M55PLUS-S3G
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3200+
Seagate 320GB SATAII
Corsair 512MB 667DDR2
CoolerMaster Musketeer
Pioneer DVD Burner
350W Power Supply

Please offer any help you can, I'm counting on you TechSpot :D

I am assuming you are not passing the POST test? Are you getting any beeps?

You'll need to go back to the basics to help troubleshoot.

Take out your motherboard, and set it on a box beside your case.

Intall ONLY the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram and the 2 power connections from your PSU to the motherboard. (both the 24 pin and the ATX12).

Connect your case's speaker wire to the motherboard as well.

Use a screwdriver to "short" the two pins usually connected to the case's power on switch.

Connect your monitor to the onboard graphics.

Are you able to post?

Even after going down to the basics as I outlined above?

OK then, one more thing to try. Reset your CMOS. Your manual will tell you where the jumpers are. Switch them over for a few seconds, then back to the original position and try again.

If that doesn't work, you have a faulty part most likely.

Do you have another system for swapping parts with? Start with the PSU, then the ram. Hopefully it is one of those two. If not, it has to be either the CPU or the motherboard.

Even after going down to the basics as I outlined above?

Yeah, I stripped everything besides what you said to leave.

My CMOS reset switch doesn't have a jumper on it, will putting a screwdriver in there for a few seconds work or do I need a jumper?

I swapped the PSU for the one that runs my main system fine and there was no change. I don't have anything I can swap for the other components as this is my first DRR2 and AMD system, but fortunately I have a friend bringing his system tommorow, which has all the components I need to complete my swap testing.

I just checked your user manual, and you are correct. To reset CMOS you must short the two cmos reset pins. You can do this with a screwdriver.

In that case I'm pretty certain I've reset it, if not multiple times, to no avail. I'll see what I can find out with my friends parts and post back afterwards, thanks for your help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back