Just built yesterday and won't turn on now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so here goes nothing...

I just built a new box w/ Antec 350W PSU, Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2GB Corsair XMS Ram 800MHz, Stock Cooling, 250GB Sata Seagate, Biostar TForce 550 MB socket AM2, w/ GeForce 6200 Biostar graphics card.

Yesterday, I assembled and hit the power switch and - nothing happened.
About 2-3 min later, the machine magically came on. after that, it powered up and down normally, enough to get Windows vista installed. I then proceeded to box it up and take it to my wife's parents' home (I built it for them) and try to turn it on, and again - nothing. I figured maybe PSU, but put in a vantec 520w which has known to work, and still nothing. So Reseated everything on the board and still nothing. So I removed the board from the case and tried to power on outside of case and still nothing. There are no jumper settings that I can find that would have any effect on the board not booting, and I've tried using the case switch as well as the switch on the board. All that I can figure is that the board must be bad. If anyone has any advice or help to give, I gladly welcome it! Thanks!

He already tried with a 520w with no luck, so more than likely it is not a PSU problem. I'm thinking the same as vegasmc, dead board. Along with resetting CMOS (hopefully that is all you'll need to do), I'll ask the obvious questions.

-Do you have the ATX12v power connection plugged in to the motherboard (not the 24 pin, but the additional ATX12v connection is needed).
-Does that 6200 graphics card require its own power connection, and if so did you hook it up?
-did you try with only one stick of ram (and double check you seated the ram well)? Note: this is actually very common, that the ram is 98% seated, and if you push it in that additional 2%, all is well.

Might be a bad MOBO.

Is there a heatsink and fan installed on the CPU?

Is the power supply a 24 pin or 20 pin?

Did you ensure all the connections are seated correctly?

Did you go to BIOS and see if all the hardware is recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back