Just Cause 2 multiplayer moves closer to reality, includes Steam integration

Russ Boswell

Square Enix' chaotic sandbox adventure game, Just Cause 2, was released all the way back in 2010. The title boasted a mindlessly entertaining single-player campaign, but hasn't been "relevant" to the gaming community in a while. That's all about to change, and those of you that have long since uninstalled the game may want to reconsider loading it back up, thanks to an upcoming multiplayer mod.

A forum post by Phillip Larkson, one of the mod's developers, hints that the finished product will be released sometime in the very near future. Philpax, as he is known on the JC-MP forums, spoke the following concerning the groups anticipated project:

"Since August, we've been in radio silence, working hard on the mod. We've hinted at a big surprise, and we think it's time to finally let everyone in on the big secret: On release, you'll be able to download the client and server from Steam, just like a normal game. This means complete Steam integration, including joining on your friends and more:"

Before we see an official release date developers will host a final Beta event, just to make sure they have worked out all the bugs. Anyone can take part in this week-long event, which Larkson touts as the "biggest demonstration of chaos this year." If you're interested in testing out the multiplayer romp you can grab a key here. Once you've got your key you'll need to activate it via Steam, by going to the "Games" dropdown menu at the top of your Steam window and then clicking the "activate a product on Steam" link. Once the beta opens, on December 7th, the activated game will unlock itself and you'll be able to hop onto the test server.

The beta will end on December 14th, and according to developers the game should drop sometime soon after. According to Larkson, a detailed changelog will be posted two days before the test, and a release date will be revealed afterwards. Be sure to get out there and grab your key for this entertaining looking mod.

Permalink to story.

LOL this is a joke right? 80% of the video showed vehicles jumping. Is this a stunt racing game or what?

LOL this is a joke right? 80% of the video showed vehicles jumping. Is this a stunt racing game or what?
Its a show of concept thats over a year old. And there is much more to the game than just being able to blow other people up as well as fuel tanks. In the mod there are gametypes and such.

It's Grand Theft Auto on crack with an invincible grappling hook... it's a mindlessly fun game.

I've been keeping my eye on this mod for a while and I am extremely excited. Just Cause 2 is one of my favorite games and I've been waiting to get a bunch of friends together to go blow stuff up.

Sounds fun, I would love to using the grappling hooks to pull two player cars together online, that would just be awesome!

"LOL this is a joke right? 80% of the video showed vehicles jumping. Is this a stunt racing game or what?"

Just watch how you destroy the 4th satellite:

Ive played in several of the beta tests, its come a long way and is also alot of fun. Really looking forward to the last test and release.

I almost forgot I had this game in my collection. I think I'll install it and play it again sometime soon and although I'm not in the least bit interested in the multiplayer side of things, I remember the single player campaign being a bit of fun. It'll be nice to play it again.

And THIS, GTA fanboys, is what your precious "GTA Online" is a shamelessly bad version of.

OMG. TEH GTA ONLINE HAS 16 PLAYERS AT ONCE

JC2 has a map over 4 times as big, and JC2MP has had over 6000 players on one server during some beta tests.

It's going to be a shame when it comes out really, I loved hanging out with the devs, so down to earth. No doubt Avalanche studios will be hiring them for Mad Max.

Back