Just how good is Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a good card. It is unable to handle the target DirectX version it was designed for without a host of problems/inefficiencies that come in the form of issues and major performance problems.

Also, it can NOT run Oblivion. It does not have the proper shader model support nor featureset for Oblivion so therefore it is below the minimum requirements for most newer DirectX 9.0 games.

There is a 3rd party Mod called "Oldblivion" that hacks Oblivion to remove many of it's graphical niceties that allows it to run even on many laptop/integrated cards. FX users have had some degree of success using this Oldblivion mod if you are stuck with this horrible, horrible card and wish to try playing Oblivion.

If you're a PCI user, realize you have the X1300 PCI option available. This card will completely demolish the FX series. NVidia also has a 6200 model in PCI that is a fairly good option as well.

bubba-ga-nush said:
I'm curious of how good a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 really is. How good can it play
Oblivion?

Oblivion will play, well let's face it, like crap, if it even plays at all. The FX5500 is a low-end card.

Sharkfood said:
It is not a good card. It is unable to handle the target DirectX version it was designed for without a host of problems/inefficiencies that come in the form of issues and major performance problems.

Also, it can NOT run Oblivion. It does not have the proper shader model support nor featureset for Oblivion so therefore it is below the minimum requirements for most newer DirectX 9.0 games.

There is a 3rd party Mod called "Oldblivion" that hacks Oblivion to remove many of it's graphical niceties that allows it to run even on many laptop/integrated cards. FX users have had some degree of success using this Oldblivion mod if you are stuck with this horrible, horrible card and wish to try playing Oblivion.

If you're a PCI user, realize you have the X1300 PCI option available. This card will completely demolish the FX series. NVidia also has a 6200 model in PCI that is a fairly good option as well.

You beat me by a minute :) ! Although you can use oldblivion, all of the settings will be on the lowest possible, and you'll get very low fps still.

bubba-ga-nush said:
I got one of them for x-mas. :'( My mom has a better graphics card. She has a Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE. How well could that play Oblivion?

Not much better than the FX5500; it's an integrated chip. It depends on your memory amount too. We need your system specs.

Here's a review of an FX5500 with some charts for some games (Call of Duty, HALO, Splinter Cell, etc.).

"good" depends on what you plan on using it for. It is a very good budget card. I've owned one before. it can play most medium games fairly well. Don't expect it to be a serious gaming card. It's not.

What is your current graphics device, before installing the FX5500? If you are currently using integrated graphics you should see at least some improvement by installing the FX5500...

Your mom's GeForce 6150 LE will not perform better than the FX5500, in fact it might even be worse. "FX 5" and "GeForce 6" are the generations, where 500 and 150 are the models. As clearly observable, 500 is higher than 150, so the FX5500 might be better even though the 6150 is newer. The FX5500 was actually a pretty nice mid-range card back in the FX-5 generation.

My recommendation for you now is to install the FX5500 and use it, but only if it is an improvement from your current graphics of course. Don't install the FX5500 if it is worse than your current graphics card.

Because even if the FX5500 cannot play Oblivion, that's no reason to trash it and stay with your current (even worse) graphics card.

bubba-ga-nush said:
hmm still not quite sure on what you want to know. How well could it play Guild Wars?
It will run Guild Wars just fine. Trust me, I play too.

Its absolutely horrible,,

All your games will run in slow motion,,

very pointless,

unless you wanna take down all graphic detail settings,,

then tho,, it will still be slow motion,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back