Just installed GeForce 8600GT, PC shuts off when gaming

I have just installed the above Graphics card into my custom made system, whenever I ty to play a game, the computer shuts down as if someone has pulled the plug, I have a 500W powersupply in it so wouldnt think it was that.

can anyone help me with this issue? should the power supply have a supplimental powersupply direct to the card or am i overlooking something simple?

thanks for your help

Just saying you have a 500W power supply isn't enough information. What brand and model is it?

The card should only have a supplemental power connection if it has a connector for it. I don't think it does.

I'm having trouble finding data on that model. Do you know how many amps the +12V rail has?

Do you have another PSU available to test with?

The GeForce 8600GT Fan/heatsink typically requires a 300 watt power supply. It does not have any extra power supply connector

the information that is on the side is

+3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5Vsb
28A 28A 20A 0.5A .05A 2.0A

Thanks

Is it worth me buying a new powesupply?

is there much else that could be causing the trouble?

Yes, I think another supply is the easiest thing to try first. With lesser computer power supplies, the stated specs are all but worthless...

Thanks,
when you say the specs are worthless, do you mean they are worthless to most pc's as in the currents arnt high enough? or they are worthless in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with the pc?

When I buy a power supply for a build I look at the specs, but I always go with a name brand like Antec, Corsair or OZC. Your supply is a "no-name" as far as this thread goes. I have a Corsair 850 Watt supply in my computer. The wattage is not the only thing I look for though. I also have 4 120mm fans in my Antec 300 Mid-Tower case. To keep things cool

Back