Just installed new motherboard,videocard,processer(AMD)and harddrive.nothing onscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

slasher_65

i am trying (note TRYING) to upgrade my pc. so i installed a 300gb harddrive (maxar), Epox series 9npa nForce 4 ultra motherboard, AMD athlon 64 and a Radeon x550 graphics card.
the PSU in an Antec 480 volts (reused) and the (reused) cd/dvd rw is connected through an old, reused analog cable. (or somesuch.) it seem that i have everythig connected as it should, and when i plug in a moniter, and power up, all fans whir, little blue LEDs light up on the motherbord and a little 2 didget display on the motherboard says "77". all is fine. or so it would seem......
none of the oncase LEDs light up, (i am using an Antect sonta), the CD drive wont do anything, and although i dont have XP installed yet, i cant see the BIOS onscreen. and i would sort of like to be able tto see the BIOS....

any idears? i shall take all abuse in my stride, as i accsept that i probibly have done somewat stupid.

PS. i dont have a clue what fourm to put this in since i dont know wht is going wrong, so i put it in this one. someone shout at me if i am wrong. im a big boy. i can take it.

1. first thing to check is your power connections. make sure that all required power connectors are plugged in. (20 or 24 pin ATX power connector, 4 pin CPU power connector, and video card power connector if applicable)

2. if all power connections are correct, then it is possibly a mobo shortage. make sure that there are only standoffs where there is a mounting hole/screw. if there is a standoff where there is no mounting screw then it will short circuit the mobo. this is a common newbie builder/upgrader mistake (don't worry we were all newbies at one time ;))

2. if you're sure that you haven't sorted the mobo, then check your RAM. "no video" is often caused by damaged, improperly installed, or incompatible RAM sticks. first verify that your RAM is the right kind for your mobo. if it is, then look in your manual for proper placement of RAM sticks, and try each stick separately.

does this mean no more modo? go straight to jail? dont pass go? dont collect $100? do i have to get a new one. there were standoffs in the wrong place. the ram came with a bundle, so i think it would be rather stipud for it to be the wrong type. ill try it though.

[update] moved the standoffs to the bin. no improvement. is my mobo fryed? (all th little lights and fans are working... and so is the debug port (little disply thing). it says FF.
any idears?

Your symptoms are either shorting mobo, RAM (as KingC pointed out) or a faulty CPU. Remove and inspect the CPU. Make sure no bent pins. Check and double check how you install the heatsink and fan. You MUST use thermal paste on the top of the CPU/HSF interface. These probs assume the mobo is in working order of course.

Also you mentioned stand-offs in the bin, did you mean you thru those out? You need to have those installed and I use insulating washers between the mobo and the stand-off interface.

Cheers.

still have the standoffs. not enough screws tho. mean old guy who last updated the system for me stole them. mutter... there is still enough standoffs in place to hold the mobo down. 5 exactly. one at each end and 1 in the middle. i have been googleing FF and it seems my mobo is fryed. i wonder ifi can return it under cooling down.... i will have to get me some thermal paste. i used the stuff that came on the heatsink in the first place.

I'm sure each mobo is different when it comes to posting a display like FF. Did you check the manual to see if they list it there? Trouble-shooting section maybe.
Is the PC beeping when you power it on? did you use insulating washers with the stand-offs? If not there's a good chance it is shorting the mobo to the chassis frame.

chances are if the mobo did not come with insulating washers, then you shouldn't use them. most modern mobos have a metal ring around the mounting holes which is designed to be grounded to the chassis. the metal rings are usually grounded internally as well.

but before you assume that the mobo is dead, you should "table test" the rig outside if the case.

using a non-static surface (such as a kitchen table, where there is no carpet),
1. lay the mobo on a piece of cardboard or use the anti-static bag it shipped in
2. remove all but the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, and the video card
3. plug in all required power connectors and monitor and boot up

i have looked around and FF seems to mean eiter perfect startup or compleat failure. go figure.
@kingcode thanks for the tip. i will try it out once i have the time.

just a quick question. i am just doing the tabletest, and was wondering if the fact the what appears to be the first RAM slot is colourcoded purple, while the others are akk blackish. anything to do with anything, or just paranoia?

right. now my power supply is making this weird buzzing noise, so i dissconnected it. it is not the fan. when i turn the computer on and off again, i cannot turn it back on until i have switched off the power supply on and off.

What you describe is the symptoms of a failing PSU. Look for a new one with as many amps on the 12V rail as possible/you can afford. In my sig click on the link BSODs, in that thread is a link to PSU specs. Find one with good specs. Good brands are Antec, Thermaltake, OZC.

cheers.

Don't setup Mboard on anti-static

It was mentioned above that you should setup the Mboard outside the case on cardboard or an anti-static bag. I agree with the autor of the post, but I must say, don't use an anti-static bag. I have used them in the past and I got away with it for a long time, but I hosed a motherboard a few years when I powerred it up on an anti-static bag.

Turns out that anti-statics are semi conductive. (Allow a bit of electricity to pass through them) It is not much, but its enough to make a motherboard or other digital device "act funny" & possibly "Die".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back