Just need some help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new computer, and its come with all the basics. I was just wondering in order to play return to castle wolfenstein: enemy terroritory would I have to get a new graphics card other than this basic one, as it says it cant load pixelformat or something ;\ The graphics card the computer came with is Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation) (I think). Just wondering if I need to buy a new one.

Thanks

I had that same problem occur with my computer when I loaded my son's Cat in The Hat game. The graphics card wasn't fast enough--or wasn't 3D--so I had to install it on a different computer that had a 3D card.

Maybe that is your problem too?

Do you have the correct drivers installed for that card, and all the updates downloaded? Even being a new computer, there may have been updates for that card published since it was installed on your machine. Try that, and good luck!

Is this systems actually "new" or is it new to you? The reason I ask is that that integrated graphics chipset is outdated, and no longer supported by intel.
End of Support Announcement

Integrated graphics aren't a graphics card at all, they just "share" your systems cpu and memory to do graphics. It uses 32mb of your system ram, it doesn't have it's own. Integrated graphics generally are pretty bad for games.

You could try updating the driver, but I think you may need a new video card, if your system has an agp expansion slot. If it doesn't, then you can get a pci video card, which will be better than integrated, but not as good as agp.

That intel is onboard, no much good for those types of games. Not even sure if it has DX9 support.

I would say that you certainly DO need a new card. I believe you need to get at least a Radeon 9600 or higher for DX9 and hardware T&L. Not sure on the Nvidia side.

When you go shopping, just make sure you get these 3, most important specs:
1. 128MB or better (this is quite standard these days)
2. Hardware T&L (Transform and Lighting). Needed for most games these days.
3. DirectX 9 support. Of course DX9.0c support would be even better.

Lastly, make sure your PC has an AGP slot and that is can handle 4x. 8x is even better still.
Sadly, some new computers don't even come with AGP. If that's the case, you can still find decent PCI video cards with those specs, but you'll probably pay more.

Good luck.

well what you have got is onboard video like my predecessors said.you have the intel onboard grahic which shares the systems ram,doesnt have any hardware t&l and is not at all ideal to play games.while it can run your office applications,movies and even some games based on quake/unreal engine on lower resolution,it wont play the demanding games that are coming out today like doom3.lat me make it clear you DONT have a video card yet,you need to buy one if you want to do some gaming.onboard video eats up the systems ram and resources and cant handle a lot of games.return to castle wolfenstien was based on a quake engine (i think)and the original return to castle wolfenstien should be playable at low settings but not the enemy territory expansion,it had a lot of effects and shaders.i havent played the enimy territory yet but have played the original so i am not so sure.the bottomline is if you want to do some gaming on this pc you NEED a graphic card,decide that first and then check out if an agp or pci, 64 mb or 128 mb,nvidia or ati when you decide on a budget.

As was said already that basically a work station graphics card not much good for gamming I does not support dx9 at all..Check out the cards shadow29 said they will work for that game he knows his stuff..

Would Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - True Combat Expansion, which needs a 32 MB 100% fully OpenGL® compliant 3-D video card be able to run ok if I was using a 64MB Intel® 82845G Graphics Card (Onboard)? I have no idea so any advice would be great :) Thanks

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory needs this as I found on one particular site:

Minimum PC System Requirements:
Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® II ;processor, AMD Athlon™ processor ;Processor Speed: 400MHz
Operating System: Windows 95/98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP
System Memory: 128MB RAM
Hard Drive Space: 800MB
Video: 3D hardware accelerator with 16MB VRAM with full Open GL support, 16-bit high-color Video mode
Sound Card: DirectX 3.0-compatible or higher
-----------------------------

Supposedly, your graphics support it:
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-004662.htm

But you need the latest driver if you don't have it already, from Intel: (for xp)
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=865

This 82845G should work (though earlier you said it was 82810E, which may not work).
But Intel also has a game troubleshooter that will talk about changing settings for OpenGL. The search area is:
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010470.htm?iid=graphics+845main&

Though Wolfenstein is not in the list. One such instance is:
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-008649.htm

Which talks about changing an OpenGL setting, you might try that?

Otherwise, if you have the 82845G with the latest graphics and DirectX, the game should work. Suspect something else.
If you have the 82810E then you need a video card. I think the 82810E supports OpenGL 1.1. OpenGL 2.0 just came out but the latest may be 1.3. So that could be the issue there.

Other than that, you could have other issues still. Maybe RAM issues or maybe the program just didn't install right? Settings problems? What about an Antivirus/firewall causing trouble?

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back