Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Hi, I have a 1.6GHz Processor 256 MB ddr sdram, and 40 gig HD.

I was just wondering, can i put in a better processor than the one that I have?

That is impossible to answer without knowing what type of processor you have and what mobo you have!!!

Yup mobo is short for motherboard. The 2 most common ways to find out what it is it to read the manual or look at the mobo itself. Most mobo's have the make and model printed on them somewhere, unless it's a pc chips one that is.

Or, if you don't want to open up your computer case then you can check by downloading CPU-Z HERE.

Run it and look under "Mainboard" tab to find the name and model of your motherboard, then post it here.

i144234_cpuzmainboard.gif

Get that information.

That would be a Socket 478 motherboard, mostly found in HP Pavilion PC's.

This board's info was a pretty hard Google search too... haha. :haha:

Now to answer your question, yes you can put in a better processor. However any CPU upgrade would only be "better" when compared to your current P4 1.6GHz, because socket 478 processors are behind today's standards. I don't know any good S478 processors that I can recommend, so we'll leave someone else to that.

Grafficks said:
That would be a Socket 478 motherboard, mostly found in HP Pavilion PC's.

This board's info was a pretty hard Google search too... haha. :haha:

Now to answer your question, yes you can put in a better processor. However any CPU upgrade would only be "better" when compared to your current P4 1.6GHz, because socket 478 processors are behind today's standards. I don't know any good S478 processors that I can recommend, so we'll leave someone else to that.

The highest I saw on Newegg was a P4 Prescott @ 3.0GHz with 1MB L2 Cache and it was about $90.00USD.

cfitzarl said:
The highest I saw on Newegg was a P4 Prescott @ 3.0GHz with 1MB L2 Cache and it was about $90.00USD.

That would do. :D

Although I do detest Prescotts...bunch o' mini nuclear-reactors...

Grafficks said:
That would do. :D

Although I do detest Prescotts...bunch o' mini nuclear-reactors...

The one on my Parents Vaio gets as high as 150-155F under load. It's ridiculous listening to the sound of the fan/heatsink kick in.

Hawkeye said:
So all I would do is order it, and thentake out the old one, and just put in the new one?

Yeah pretty much...read the manual that comes with the processor if you need reference - unless it's OEM, in which case you wouldn't have a manual nor a HSF.

After some more research, HERE,
I found that it has a SiS651 Northbridge chipset, spec'd HERE.

As it turns out from the info presented, Hawkeye's Asus P4S-LA only supports Socket478 CPU's with 400/533MHz FSB. This means the only Pentium 4's it can support are Willamette and Northwood.

Look on Newegg for a S478 Northwood Pentium 4 Processor, with speed and price to your liking. They are mostly available as OEM products now so you'll likely need to also buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, or you can keep the old one you currently have.

Good luck

with only 256mb your system will run very slow no matter what processor you put in it. Put at least 512mb if not 1gb.

Yes, that would be a superb choice. It's a pretty good deal too.

It does not come with a CPU cooler, so are you planning on buying one, or using the old one from your current CPU?

Socket 478 CPU coolers are very cheap now, and you definitely don't need a fantastic one, because Northwood cores run very cool.

If you do plan on keeping your current CPU cooler then you will still need some thermal paste. Get some Arctic Silver 5 because your current thermal pad/grease will be ruined once you take it off.

for my ram, i also need an upgrade. can u guys help me find a decent ram i got 256 sd ddr ram. not sure how many pins. but i would like maybe a decent cheaper 512 to add to my pc along w/ the 256 i already have.

also can u help me w/ finding a cheaper cooler? thanx

thanks.

Hawkeye said:
for my ram, i also need an upgrade. can u guys help me find a decent ram i got 256 sd ddr ram. not sure how many pins. but i would like maybe a decent cheaper 512 to add to my pc along w/ the 256 i already have.

also can u help me w/ finding a cheaper cooler? thanx

thanks.

This seems like a nice cooler. I would suggest this for the thermal paste to use inbetween the cpu and heatsink/fan.

Can u guys also help me w/ this. I know wrng thread but i need the help.

I need to know how many watts this power supply is.

HP Model #: A2007A3

Hawkeye said:

Follow step 3 of the guide in my signature entitled "Cfitzarl's Guide to Video Card Upgrades" to find out.

Hawkeye said:

According to a quick Google-search (you could do this yourself) of "hp A2007A3" it is most likely a 200-Watt micro ATX power supply.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to know the wattage of your power supply? Another upgrade?

Hawkeye said:

You are looking for a RAM upgrade also I see.

According to the links I posted before, your motherboard only has two DIMM slots and only supports 184-pin DDR PC1600 or PC2100.

This means that if your DDR DIMM slots are not fully occupied already, then you can only add one stick to it. The highest speed you can get is DDR-266MHz (PC-2100).

It also wouldn't matter what size your memory upgrade is, because there is no dual-channel configuration to adhere to. However, it is highly advised that you get multiple memory modules at the same speed.

For this, you need to find the current specs of your current RAM. If you are planning to open up your case to find the specs of your power supply, then while you're at it look at the label of the memory too and tell us what it says.

If not, then open that CPU-Z program you downloaded earlier. Go to the "Memory" tab and tell us what it says under "Frequency".
Only then can we recommend the correct RAM for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back