K6/3 450mhz Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucumber

Hey lads, ....we have 2 decent PC's in our house and a fairly old:
K6/3 450mhz
256mb PC100
Kyro2 32mb (my old card from my PC)

And playing Counter-Strike is *Ok* but when you go in a server with a large number of people in, it becomes v.slow :mad: so looking at those specs its obvious that the CPU is the bottleneck!...I do intend on upgrading it (when i get my new CPU/Mobo/RAM) but until then id like to O/C it a bit! Now, in BIOS there is an alteration of the FSB, it goes ...100mhz, 124mhz, and then 136mhz*i think* :eek: iv tried altering this but when i do nothing happens and the PC does not boot! But there are Jumpers on the motherboard, and so does overclocking work Via the jumpers?...n00b question i know:blush: As the board manual only specifies jumper settings for K6/3 CPU's upto 450mhz..BUT! it shows settings for other CPU's e.g. Celeron upto 600mhz!

Long story sorry.... anyways someone told me that the first 2 or 3 jumpers are for the type of CPU, and the last ones are for the multiplier of the CPU, so if i were to leave the jumpers showing it as a K6/3 and changed the rest..to say a 500mhz Celeron, would that work, possibly, maybe? O how much of a n00b do i sound

If this is entirely stupid, and will never work, please just say so:eek:

Thanks

Cucumber

Cucumber,

You can try CPUCool www.guru3d.com & it can software tweek the registry to higher settings, but you'll need to know the mobo brand & # to use it too.

You may be correct & you may have to hardwire the FSB, tho'. There also might be voltage settings that have to be set for that K6-3 & the 2.0volt Celeron settings won't work. I dunno, but you should check that too.

Search the archives at Toms Hardware or OCZ for K6 oc's. I believe I've seen articles there on them.

HTH,

Thanks 4 your help!:grinthumb
...I think ill just wait until i get my new stuff in a couple of weeks, dont wanna risk breaking anything, as itll be hard to replace and this PC will also be passed on!:blackeye:

Anyways Cheers Lads:grinthumb :grinthumb

Cucumber

K6-3 doesn't have multiplier lock, does it? I used to have K6-2 aeons ago, 350 MHz went to 475 easily :). Just play with FSB & multiplier until you fry your rig - oops I mean until speed is good for PCI & AGP and fast enough for CPU.

Is there a reason why increasing the FSB would not work in particular? As even the slightest adjustments cause the PC not to boot!

Hmmm,

How are you adjusting it? BIOS or ??? What is stock & what is 'slight'? Are you also saying it won't boot into 'safe mode' either? Have you unplugged it for a few minutes & tried again?

I & others need to know the what/how so we can help with the 'what now?'. ;)

Do you have 'recovery/restore' disc's/drive if necessary? Always wise to have them updated when 'tweeking'. No 'salt in the wound' intended, just a word to the wise when the new system comes. :D [and this one is back up]

Let us know,

We used to discuss this quite allot in the old forums, I had a K6/2 CPU myself back then...

Though you generally can only overclock them by 50mhz or so :(

Go take a look in our old forums if you like

Well i tried putting it to 112mhz FSB(which is the next one up from the default), from the standard 100mhz!(In BIOS) But nothing worked :confused: the montior never even came on
...the PC still works, theres a little reset CMOS jumper on the motherboard.;)

If i were to change the jumpers on the motherboard, would that work? Sorry if this sounds like a n00b question, i've just never had to overclock before without "SoftMenu III":p

Well 4,5 x 112 after all is a 54mhz O/C, perhaps your chip can't handle that...

If you try to lower the multiplier one notch and then increase the FSB everything should work, if that is the case your CPU can't handle the 50mhz boost and as such we can conclude on that the O/C attemp was failed...

Note: When I O/C:ed my K6/2 I used the (at the time) top of the line Alpha PAL 6035 (without copper insert) though I could only manage a 50mhz increase if I don't remember wrong...

www.1coolpc.com still has them for 25$ if you are interested, though this is an improved model with copper insert in the bottom...

Cuke,

When you up the FSB it affects all the ports/busses equally. Changing the CPU multiplier doesn't change the PCI, AGP, etc. DIVIDERS.

For instance: @ 100FSB the PCI divider is 1/3 = 33.3mhz PCI. Same with AGP. @ 112 & 1/3 = 37.3mhz on the PCI & AGP. You're cooking the bus. You'd have to change those dividers to 1/3.363 to achieve 33.3mhz so they will run in their specs.

If you have PC-100 & you are running it @ 112, it's going to run hot too, if it runs. Cooling does help disperse the heat generated, but it doesn't slow down the process.

I *do* run my PCI/bus @ 36.3 (no AGP 4 me :( ) I think you could too. That would be 109FSB. Your BIOS won't allow that, BUT ... CPUCool just might. :grinthumb That's how I got 36.3.

It works out to ~491mhz for that CPU.

HTH,

Your best bet would certainly be to raise the multiplier rather then the FSB. I had a K6-2 450 ( 4.5x100 ) that I raised to 550 ( 5.5x100 ).

The K6-2/3 range of CPUs was not multiplier locked. I tryed to overclock by FSB but whichever setting above 100 that I would try wouldn't even post ( & I was lowering the multiplier ).

Or you can always save some money & upgrade to a Duron/Celeron combo.

Cheers lads:grinthumb got it to post at 500mhz, and 475mhz..but during boot up it came up with all sorts of errors:mad: In a few weeks im getting some new stuff 4 my PC, and the overclocking attempt was only a temporary solution, as i knew i would be getting these things and the PC would then be upgraded;)

Anyways thanks 4 ur help:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back