K7S5A Problems

By Joawro
Jul 16, 2006
  1. Hi, I am having problems setting up my motherboard. I just recieved my ATI RADEON 9600 PRO Graphic card, and I popped it in. When I turned on the computer, everything was going according to plan, but I forgot to press the delete key when it told me to. So I reseted and now nothing comes on the screen. The monitor does not even turn on.

I have reseted the CMOS and Jumper Switches but still nothing. Any suggestions?
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Is the computer still turning on? Any lights? Any sounds? What do your senses tell you?

If the computer worked fine and upon restart, quit working, resetting the CMOS was a good start. The jumpers should be fine as their defaults providing the computer started with those defaults enabled... So that shouldn't be it.

It might sound rediculous, but there's a good chance of hardware failure. Your power supply (for example), may have finally been pushed over the edge by your new addition. But there's not much else that can go wrong short of a huge coincidence such as a dead CPU or board.
  3. Joawro

Joawro TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

I see my cd-rom lights, hard drive lights going on. But I am not sure it can be the hard drive. I will put another hard drive in and see what happens.
  4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

Check our memory modules to make sure they are fully seated. it is not uncommon to slightly dislodge memory modules when installing video cards. Also what were you using for video before? and what is your power supply brand, watts and how many amps on the +12V rail?
  5. Joawro

A miracle just happened, it actually boots up nicely now. But there is another problem. When I try to install Windows ME, nothing happens. I get some message referring to FAT, FAT32, NTFS or something. I am not sure what to do.
  6. Joawro

*Bump* Anyone know what I should do?
  7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Why don't you install XP or even 98?. Anything is better than ME.
  8. Joawro

XP takes up alot of memory And I plan for gaming. Windows 98, they stopped supporting it but I will give it a try.
  9. wolfram

Give a try to 98. Who cares if MS doesn't support it. Their updates for it are useless.
    I can surf the web on another machine that has 98 without any firewall and it has no viruses or spyware :)
  10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

They also stopped supporting Windows ME.

Edit: What a colorful thread! :)
  11. wolfram

I like colorful sigs :)
  12. Joawro

I tested windows 98 on another pc first ot make sure it worked, but unfortunally, it was corrupted.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.