TechSpot

K8T800(pro) + 1gig 400Mhz RAM = Not Possible?!

By cannyshammy
Feb 25, 2005
  1. GA-K8VT800(Pro) + 1gig 400Mhz RAM = Not Possible?!

Hello,

Okay so i decided it was time to upgrade my ram as it stood at:

1 x 512 333Mhz
    2 x 256 266Mhz

And i was told that was definately bottleknecking my system. I was told to go grab 2 x 512 400mhz.
    So off i went to ebuyer.com and picked up 2 sticks of crucial ram. Took out my old sticks slapped in these 2 new ones and then booted the PC. A single loud beep came from my PC speaker, upon consulting my mobo manual i read that its a memory issue.

Anyways after much experimentation i descover that it will only run with one of the sticks in slot 1, i tried both sticks in slot 1 and both worked but it didnt work when i had both in differnt slots?!

I ran sandra when i had 1x512 400mhz in:

What worries me is: "Maximum Installable Memory : 768MB" ?!!

That cant be right kuz i was running 1gig before!

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Muppet

P.s. I have the latest bios installed F10 i believe..

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

With 2 DDR sticks, put 1 in slot 1 and the other in slot 3. Reboot.

should work. Your MB manual should have told you this.

3. cannyshammy

cannyshammy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ye i have tried this and still no joy. I have tried every single combination of sticks in the slots...

Muppet

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

5. cannyshammy

nope realblackstuff that didnt work but interstingly it didnt give me a single long beep, this time it got to the memory test part of the boot and stopped.

I tested abit more and found that as long as the 333 isnt in slot 1 then it will get to the memory test part no matter what combination of 333 and 400 i have in slots 1,2 and 3.

I have also just tried 400 in slot 1 and the other 2x256@266mhz in slots 2 and 3 and it boots and loads fine...

I have noticed quite a few other people have been having problems with this board and 400mhz ram, but i havent seen anyone get stuck at this part yet..

Muppet

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

then either your memory is the wrong type, the wrong frequency (some MB are choosy about brands that they work with) or your memory or MB is bad.

7. cannyshammy

Hmmmm, i tried both sticks of ram in by themselfs and both work fine so it must be the mobo that is fuxxord? :( Cant send my mobbo back right now i need my PC for work, so it looks as if im buggered for a while then /sigh

Muppet

8. nein

nein Banned Posts: 109

The new 400MHz memory sticks happen to be DUAL-SIDED???

9. cannyshammy

No mate they arent duel i dont believe, that is they dont have chips on both sides of the stick, they are these :

So i dont think its the RAM's fault atall, but it may be...

Muppet

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.