Karbonn's upcoming smartphone will run both Android and Windows Phone

Scorpus

Staff member

Karbonn Mobile might not be a household name outside of India, but the company is looking to do something no other smartphone manufacturer has done yet: produce a handset that dual-boots both Android and Windows Phone.

You may recall that Karbonn is one of the new Windows Phone partners that Microsoft announced at the start of MWC 2014. Thanks to eased regulations on Windows Phone hardware, Karbonn has been able to develop a dual-booting phone set for release in June, along with a few other Windows Phones that we'll see in a few month's time.

The company's dual-booting handset is supposed to target "office-going professionals and 'techies'", although no specifcations nor a price for the smartphone has been revealed. Karbonn devices are typically found across Asia were competition is fierce, so it's unlikely the handset will be high-end or expensive.

Most devices that run more than one operating system aren't particularly successful, as two separate environments can be tricky to manage and unfriendly to use. How Karbonn's Android and Windows Phone smartphone will turn out remains to be seen, but at least it's doing something people haven't tried before.

Permalink to story.

They havent tried for a reason :p

I'm not sure I'll get a low end phone to dual boot into windows phone, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Nor a WP user will get one of those to dual boot into android, it doesn't make sense either.

Unless, the integration between Windows is actually made into the phones OS so you'll eventually be running not WP but Windows in a phone, in which case a dual boot into android makes a tiny bit of sense, still not much.

I don't know for you but I would like something like that for my next phone .I don't care if its random brand.

Yeah, they really need to take advantage of WP 8.1's on-screen keys rather than having the awkward WP hardware keys along with the Android on-screen keys.

Now this is a good idea, I think having phones where you can choose the operating system is a good thing in my book.

Well you actually pick a phone because of it's OS, right?
Yea but I just mean same phone different OS is a nice option because it does not force you to other (Albeit Similar) devices if you like the phone but don't like the OS. I think if most phones worked like that already (Many do or are starting) then it will be a great improvement on the mobile market.

Yeah, they really need to take advantage of WP 8.1's on-screen keys rather than having the awkward WP hardware keys along with the Android on-screen keys.

Agreed. I thought WP 8.1's support for on-screen soft keys was the reason that out of the blue a manufacturer decided to build a dual booted "Windroid Phone". But to my surprise they aren't even taking advantage of it, unless this is just a random render.

Back