KaZaA with Win95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does KaZaA or KaZaA Lite work on Windows 95? It is the current Windows version I am using, I downloaded KLite and installed it but when I tried to connect, it wouldn't, or at least I assume it wouldn't because I left it when it said on the bottom bar "Connecting" and I left it there for an hour and it still didn't connect, and no I am not using a 56 K Modem, I have Cable 100 KB/s max. Can anyone send me the latest version of KaZaA or KaZaA Lite or do I need a lower one because of my current Windows version?

Thank you for your attention.

Kazaa can use quite a bit of CPU and memory to run. If you are running Windows 95, that is probably a good sign your computer doesn't meet the recommended minimum requirements.

While it still may run fine, you may have a wait an especially long time for KaZaa to negotiate connections.

There are other things possible too, such as Windows 95 might have an older winsock etc... Windows 95 is bad for networking and Internet acitivties in general.

But I don't think there's a way to tell for sure what the problem is. Just a lot of guesses. :)

Originally posted by Rick
Kazaa can use quite a bit of CPU and memory to run. If you are running Windows 95, that is probably a good sign your computer doesn't meet the recommended minimum requirements.

What are the minimum requirements? I have 48 MB of RAM and 950 MB available storage space, my RAM is usually 85% free which means I usually have 41 MB of RAM available. How much do you think KaZaA or KaZaA lite would take up?

While it still may run fine, you may have a wait an especially long time for KaZaa to negotiate connections.

I have cable, 100 Kilobytes per second max, I assume it shouldn't need to take longer than an hour.

There are other things possible too, such as Windows 95 might have an older winsock etc... Windows 95 is bad for networking and Internet acitivties in general.

Well your computer doesn't matter in cases of internet, you can have a bad computer but a good Internet Service Provider, or you could have a good computer but a crappy connection.
As for Winsock, would you be kind enough to send me your Winsock version, or would that not work out?

Last time I used it actually was on Windows 95. Albeit Windows 95 with Winsock 2, USB, FAT32, etc - almost 98. And on a pretty beefy system for Windows 95 - 366Mhz, 128MB of RAM, 9GB SCSI disk.

However, if after an hour the connections have not negotiated, its almost certainly a sign that your ISP is blocking it. Not the OS.

There are alternatives out there that don't mess your system up as much as KaZaA. But then again theres always the option to buy the music/games/dvd/software legally.

I'm betting since you on cable, your winsock is up to date (at least as much as possible).

I see no other reason for it not working.

From memory, it won't even start up without the most recent Winsock2 for Windows 95 - as it needs a DLL distributed with it.

Hence its probably your ISP trying not to be sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back