TechSpot

Keep disconnecting while playing games

By Youssef2221
Oct 6, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I am new here, I have been facing this problem for weeks from now, When I play dota 1 for example, I keep disconnecting before I do anything, or playing COD or anything else, I am connected to my wifi, but when I disconnect, I am still connected to my wifi, I can browse in the internet without any problems, but I only have that problem while gaming, please help.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

Get into your router and set the MTU to 1492 - - this will help

3. Youssef2221

Youssef2221 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, not only on wifi, it occurs on lan too, and not only in my router, it occurs while connected to any router, does it sound like a problem in my adapter?

4. jobeard

I have found that the MTU size is a large (but not the only) contributor.
    If it is less that 1500 and satisfies
    mtu = 1500 - (N * 8) where N is a number in the range 1 -> 180​
    the system will not perform packet reassembly and be more stable

For the wired NIC, run
    Code:
    Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Local Area Connection” mtu=1492 store=persistent
    For the WiFi, run
    Code:
    Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Wireless Network Connection” mtu=1492 store=persistent

5. Youssef2221

Youssef2221 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I think I know the problem, the bytes somehow stop sending and receiving right when I play online, thats why I disconnect, I did the MTU thing and still problem isn't fixed..

6. jobeard

Nope, it's the other way around, the disconnect stops the read write sending.