Keep losing internet connection after installing my Broadband router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I just installed a lynksys broadband firewall router, to provided Broadband internet access to my win 98se machine and Win XP Proff machine. It was easy to set up and both computer have internet access, however...every few minutes the internet connection drops out for a split second. This does not happen when one machine is connected to the cable modem. it's not a problem for surfing, but it is a problem when I need a constant connection for streaming video and file transfers. I tried tweaking the MTU but that was no help, I lose connection completely when I mess with that. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides throwing the router out the window or smashing it up against a wall? :mad:

What sort of internet connection do you have? Where does the connection drop occur? Between the router and the modem or between the PC and the router?

Check the router logs. It should contain info about lost and regained WAN connections.

Sometimes you have to config the router to emulate one of your machine's MAC addresses. I've seen this problem with Verizon dsl, and linksys routers.

Definitly check your logs, the firewall in your router may be killing connections because it thinks something is attacking you that is actually an outbound request.

It may sound trivial, but you need to make sure you aren't crushing or bending your ethernet cable. If there are any cuts, or hard bends, or places where it's been crushed you should replace it.

Also try these:

1. Make sure there aren't any firewalls that may block the way.

2. Make sure the cable modem has all lights colored the way they should be.

3. Make sure the cables are firmly attached to the computer and router

Hope this helps!

sw123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back