Keeping Emails during Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I was wondering....can you keep Emails during a format. I have a 80Gig HDD partitioned into 3 drives.

I would like to keep the emails I have on the C:/, although I cant finds the actuall files. All I have to do is copy them onto 1 of the other drives. Would it work if I just copied the outlook folder onto another drive?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, Outlook stores e-mails somewhere deep into Application Data directory. It might vary from version to version, too.
Or was it just Outlook Express? hmm..
Fortunately Mozilla doesn't try to hide files ;)

Yes, you can keep your e-mails. If you are wondering where they are kept, you can find out by going to Tools/Options/Maintanence/Store Folder

The path to all of your files should be there. Simply copy the contents and you have everything backed up.

When you format and run outlook express for the first time, go ahead and do the usual thing (set up your account, name etc..). Once you are finished, go to the same folder as before. The {4CEA732D-01CB-4875-B81E-CCBBED7EC75A} folder is generated randomly though, so pay no attention to any differences in the file name. Copy the files (most of them are .dat, aren't they?) into the proper folder and viola!

Re: Keeping Emails

For those who don't know, and I know many do: Depending on what server type you use, it may not be necessary to keep your emails, you know.. If it's IMAP or Exchange, it's likely still on the server. If you POP it off, you MIGHT, but doubtfully still have a copy on the server...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back