Kevlar-insulated batteries could lead to safer, slimmer gadgets

Shawn Knight

Staff member

batteries bulletproof kevlar fibers explode research battery science battery technology kevlar electrons lithium ions

Research regarding new battery technology typically centers on extending battery life or reducing recharge times but that’s not the only hurdle we face. While not overly obvious, the lithium-ion batteries we use on a daily basis can be quite dangerous, especially as they age.

Lithium-ion batteries, like those inside smartphones and tablets, generate current by passing ions from electrode to electrode along a set path. The electrodes are lined with an insulating membrane that prevents the ions from simply jumping between electrodes at will.

Over time, however, the lithium-ion atoms can branch out and form dendrite-like structures that have the potential to break through the insulation and create a short circuit between electrodes. When this happens, the results can be deadly.

batteries bulletproof kevlar fibers explode research battery science battery technology kevlar electrons lithium ions

Scientists at the University of Michigan believe they’ve stumbled upon a solution that could make batteries much safer: Kevlar.

By replacing traditional insulation material with thin sheets of heat-resistant Kevlar, the dendrite growths can effectively be blocked from reaching other electrodes. Best yet, because they are so thin, more electrodes can be packed into a battery to increase its energy output.

We’ve covered a bunch of promising battery technology here at TechSpot but the majority of implementations are still far away. Such isn’t the case here as Kevlar-insulated batteries are expected to enter production sometime next year and could show up in consumer devices as early as 2017.

Permalink to story.

Maybe pack kevlar laced batteries onto a vest, and you have power on the go, with the added feature of entering a war zone.

As early as 2017? A lot of thing can change between now and 2017 but unfortunately battery tech isn't going to be one of them. **YAWN** So this exciting so called breakthrough has me jumping down with excitement .

So many ground breaking discoveries found by Universities. Only a few become solutions put to use. Is that because once the University is paid for it's research, we learn it's too expensive to duplicate the results in a factory?

So many ground breaking discoveries found by Universities. Only a few become solutions put to use. Is that because once the University is paid for it's research, we learn it's too expensive to duplicate the results in a factory?

most research firms need to show results to get funding the next time around. Universities are free to raise tuition and make students take 'padding' credits. For example, I went to business school and they made me take chemistry, cultural geography and anthropology. Oh, and art history, that was important too.

Now of course, I have no authority to say whether universities have far looser standards for research funding, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

One ME professors said that ME students should best learn about the business side of things and also learn about how non-profit organization works. Because of how ruthless non-profit organization are, you can learn many things in finding ways to persuade companies to fund the research and make them a reality for the outside world. Generally companies just are a hard to convince why what you research could benefit the world because they don't give a **** and only care if it makes money rather than how the research benefits everyone. And because of that, a lot of research have promising results but then gets shoved into the backroom closet never to be seen by the day of light again because those students and/or professors just have no idea how the companies operate or how to persuade them.

"These technology can help everyone around the world. The reason is-"
"Stop. How are we going to make money?"
"Well uhh... I'm not sure. I'm only a researcher... but it helps everyone?"
"I don't care. How can we make money?"
"Uhh... everyone gets free ice cream?"
"..."
*Project canned

Back