Keyboard and mouse not working after boot of Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezshoes

I recently moved my two hard drives into a new system and ran a system repair. When it boots, the mouse and the keyboard are not working. Both are ps2 type but I have also tried a USB mouse to no avail. Things work fine in the bios screens and when I boot the recovery console. They go away after the system boots into windows.

I installed a new instance of Win 2000 on the other hard drive and it boots fine and the mouse and the keyboard work. I have checked for the presence of the mouse drivers and they are there. I have checked to see if there are additional filters in the registry for these devices, and there aren't. I have tried exporting the keys for the keyboard and mouse from the good system and imprting them into the registry for the system that won't work, and that did not help either.

Any ideas?

Caesar...

do they work in safe mode?
If so go to device manager (right click my computer, and click properties, click Hardware, then device manager) and remove them, then reboot your computer they should redetect.

Don't work in safe mode iether

Forgot to mention... they work long enough to hit F8 and select safe mode but then they go away there too. Caesar...

Interesting.... you say it is locking up on the boot menu for this instance.
Sounds like you have yourself one corrupt install. I dont think I have heard of one doing that before..

Can your wipe it and start fresh.. you said you installed 2k on the other hdd.. can you move data then just format this one? makes the issue much simpler.

The system doesn't seem to be locked up per se...

The mouse and keyboard just aren't working. I don't even see the little arrow as if the drivers never get loaded, so I don't think it is hanging the system. They are there at the boot menu when I can choose which instance to boot from and if I hit F8, they are still working at that point.

I would rather not blow it away if I can get around it because getting all of the program disks together to reinstall all the apps will be a real nightmare!

You mentioned going into the device manager and deleting the devices. Since I have a working instance on the system, I can edit the registry. Can I delete the devices by editing the registry? Anything is worth a try...

Thanks for your replies.

Caesar...

this is of course in theory....

speaking of working on 9x systems in hp support.. you used to be able to blow out the ENUM key and this was about the same as removing "ALL" device drivers. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/ENUM

I know this worked in the 9x days, i have had to do it a few times.. but it is one of those undocumented fixes... or atleast it was undocumented in the M$ world.....

NOTE: deleting this key will cause you to have to reinstall all of your hardware drivers.......... This may also FUBAR that 2k instance...... Be advised...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back