Keyboard crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just fitted a new mainboard to my system & now there is an unusual problem. The keyboard works just fine when websurfing etc.. or other things none game related.

I say none game related as when i launch a game, any game even if i am not using the keyboard, the keyboard stops working. The mouse & pc are still functioning ok.

What happens is that i get a single beep from the case speaker & the keyboard quits working. All drivers are upto date & there are no conflicts in device manager etc.

No overheating problems either.

I get the same beep if i unplug the keyboard whils it is still working. As it is the case speaker that beeps could it be a mainboard error possibly.

It is connected to the PS2 port but i am going to buy a PS to USB converter & plug it in a USB port ( yes my mainboard does support USB keyboard) to see if this works

Does the fact that there is no tin plate that slots in the tower case & makes contact on the mainboard in/out connectors make any difference as there is not one fitted.

Phil.

Does the fact that there is no tin plate that slots in the tower case & makes contact on the mainboard in/out connectors make any difference as there is not one fitted.
No. It doesn't make any difference. The motherboard doesn't even have to be installed in a case for it to work.

You might try uninstalling the keyboard in the Device Manager, rebooting and let Windows detect and reinstall the driver. Otherwise, it could be the keyboard, its PS/2 connector or the motherboard PS/2 connector. Any bent pins in the PS/2 connector? Do you have another keyboard to substitute for testing purposes?

Just as i suspected

I fitted a PS2 to USB adapter lead & now it works just fine.

I guess the PS2 keyboard circuit must have some kind of fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back