Keyboard freeze - winxp - A7V333

Status
Not open for further replies.
my keyboard keeps freezing, during games, using IE, outlook express...it doesn't seem to matter which program. it is random too, anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes after booting. programs continue, but i have no input from the keyboard, although the mouse usually works. (sometimes freezes.) i have to reboot using reset button. heat doesn't seem to be an issue, tried a different keyboard, made sure drivers are current. nothing has solved this. any ideas?

asus a7v333, kt333
athlon 2000xp 1.6ghz
pc2700 ddr sdram 512mb, 1 stick
geforce ti4600
sb audigy platinum
intel nic

thanks.

Did this just start? Have you recently installed some new drivers? If your mobo is still pretty new, you may want to call the manufacturer for support since you should still have a warranty. Otherwise, give some more info and we'll all see if we can help. :grinthumb

There's a reasonable chance your keyboard has a short in it. This is especially possible if your keyboard moves around regularly.

I suggest you look for related issues at http://search.support.microsoft.com

It's a large database of Microsoft software problems. Choose your operating system and search for things like "freeze" or "hang" along with any other relavent information and you might find something useful.

i seem to have minimized the freezing by installing the USB 2.0 drivers for the mobo. (didn't do it during the install for some reason...) i haven't had it freeze all morning. strange. i used a different keyboard and had the same prob, so it wasn't that. i thought the power supply might have been freaking out, but i updated the asus pc probe and everything has been normal. (it was reading around 13.2v instead of 12.0v) i even played UT all morning and didn't get a freeze up. temperatures have been normal as well, so i don't think it was a heat thing. everyone cross their fingers that it was the old USB drivers messing with the ps/2 port. thanks for the input. if it changes i'll post more.

:grinthumb

I have the same motherboard with the same problem. Regularly, with the first hit on the keyboard, the whole system freezes. Reset button necessary. Then usually no problems until the next session with a fresh boot.
No idea what it could be, all keyboards I've tried produce the same problem.

Asus A7v333
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ at 1,67
1024MB DDR-SDRAM at 268Mhz data rate
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

the issue was resolved when i replaced the fan on my geforce 4 ti4600. it had burned out and was causing the card to overheat, making xp do some strange things. thanks for all your help!

:D :D :D

I have the same problem as well, I just upgraded my system, bought and installed a Gigabyte motherboard with 2.4GHz P4 processor, ATI Radeon 9600 videocard and 512MB of Kingston DDR Ram.
Everything is fine when booting up and my keyboard works alright. But it does freeze up anytime from 2 minutes to 2 hours. Does not matter which application is running. Have also tried another keyboard and same problem occurs.
Would appreciate comments with regards to my problem.

Thanks.
Regards,
Terry

My pc gives me the same problem.
A7V333 Rev 1.02, BIOS 10.16, Athlon XP 1900 with Zalman Flower, 2x 256MB Corsair 2700 DDRAM, QuietPC 400W PSU,
Matrox G550 32MB AGP-4 card, Realtek NIC, Logitech Internet keyboard, Belkin SOHO KVM 4-port. Windows 2000 Pro / SP4
Via Hyperion 4.48

I started out with the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3. On both USB 1.1 and 2.0 this mouse regularly froze, taking the keyboard with it. Only a hard reboot could bring them back to life. Putting the mouse on PS/2 did not help either.

Then I bought a Logitech MX700 wireless optical mouse. The same problem on either USB's as well as PS/2.

Problem comes up at any given time between 2 min. and 3 hours.

Finally I changed back to my old Logitech Mouseman+ PS/2 mouse but here the problem continues, though less frequent.

I have tried all MS Intellimouse and Logitech drivers. Then I reverted back to the original W2K drivers. Even these give me grief. Any information would be highly appreciated

i have the same motherboard and the same problem
i have tracked it down to being a bios issue.
i tried many bios from 1015 1016 to 1018. they all have this keyboard or mouse or both freeze
so i went back to the originals 1007 the only ones that seem stable and the mouse and keyboard never freeze and dont have this problem under xp
also i have used the latest bios listed above on win 9x and me and the problem never accured
i think its some sort of winxp bios conflict

i also think that its possible that this is a usb2.0 driver conflict with the ps2 port under xp
since u can only get usb 2.0 drivers for xp from service pack 1
it is possible microsoft messed up something in the driver for this particualr motherboard
i think ill try the latest bios and the old usb 2.0 xp driver i got on the motherboard cd since u cant find it anywhere else for download

Same problem here...
I have an ASUS A7V8X and a logitech keyboard(ps2) installed. When I first boot the sistem everything is ok... XP is loading... all is fine.
But when I press a key on the keyboard everything freezes. Well not everything, just the keyboard and mouse. Everything else works in the background.
For example:
- XP starts and I only use the mouse. It's ok. Nothing happens. I play a movie and it works just fine. But when I press a key on the keyboard it freezes: the mouse and keyboard. The movie is still playing, only mouse and keyboard freeze.

This happens only when I start the PC for the first time in that day or when I shut-down the PC for a coupple of hours and then back on.

Im going out of my mind trying to solve this riddle...
And another thing. In Win98 SE works fine, never had this problem. Only XP and Win2000 does that king of thing!

Having A7V333 Rev.1.2 with BIOS V1016, Logitech MX700 mouse on PS/2 and Logitech Internet Keyboard.

I solved my mouse/KB freezing by uninstalling the Logi-drivers and reverting to the built-in PS/2 mouse-drivers from Win2000.
I also installed the Via USB2.0 drivers (V244).
Since then I get maybe 1 freeze a month, which need not be related. There is a newer Via USB2.0-driver out but I have not checked it out yet.

And another thing that happened last night...
At some point in XP, after installing and uninstalling several drivers and during the time I was playing Prince: Sands of Time, my computer stops and reboot suddenly! I entered again in XP and waited for 3 minutes... after that, CLANK!, another ShutDown, only this time I had to unplug my computer to start booting... I entered again in XP, waited for 3 minutes and again restarts... I did that 5-6 times and I decided to enter in Win98SE. In here nothing happened, every thing went smoothly...
What the hell did just happened back there?
Anyone can tell me?

You'll find the USB Drivers here:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=298

I am still running Windows 2000/SP4. I do not intend EVER to change over to XP, and please don't start any arguments about that!
XP may have some stuff that W2K does not, but there is nothing I can think of, that I cannot do under my very stable W2K.

Actually, I think that it is the VIA-chipset that causes the mouse/KB instability.
I have had many ASUS mobo's before, but every single one always had Intel chipsets. My next mobo will definitely have an Intel chipset again and I probably will go back to Intel CPU's as well.

I fear that my problem just got worse!!
Yesterday I had the same problem in Win98... random restarting of PC. Can it be a faulty mobo?

i have found that when i use my usb logitech mouseman optical
i dont have this freeze at all even when i use the latest bios however i do get this problem using my ps2 mouse
i only experienced this when i changed the ps2 rate to like 80 hz or 200hz
i dont use the ligitech mouse software becouse of previous bad experiences with mouse and keyboard softwares

also under win9x when using usb mouse or keyboard logitech especially
plug them in with the ps2 adapter to the ps2 port and remove themfrom the system in control panel
uninstall or remove wchichever

than unplug them from the ps2 port and plug them into your usb port
ive had a problem where my logitech keyboard would lock up and freak out becouse it would register under the usb and the ps2 port both at the same time, taking up both ids

now that i think about it it probably all comes down to usb 2.0 conflicting or something
add 2 usb ports and the mobo gets all confused. i think ill just unplug them and run with only 2

Now that's strange...
Yesterday I installed a fresh XP... Surprisingly it worked just fine. I had just one freeze when I installed SP1, after that it went smoothly. Not one sudden restart of the PC.
I don't know what to belive... but sunday I'm gone do a thorough test at one of my buddyes... Hopely with other components we will figure out what happened and what is the source of my problems... not that I had any lately...

Hi, also have an ASUS A7V333 rev 1.01 with logitech wheel mouse and a Logitech De Luxe Access PS2 keyboard running WinXPpro SP1.
I thought that my previous old cherry keyboard was broken and I bought this one but is the same problem...
I didn't know that anyone has had my same problem... but now I think that must be a bug somewhere.
Personally I did't have found a solution but I have noticed that if I press the keyboard bottons slowly and not together, I don't get the problem. If I press them nearly alltogether then the Key.+mouse freeze immediately...
If you're working, I have noticed that if you plug in an USB mouse, the system installs it immediatley and you can save your work and normal reboot with this mouse.
In my opinion this is a BIOS-MS-VIA-USB driver bug problem...
Is there anybody with ideas???
Trying changing Keyboard Auto-Repeat Rate and Delay in BIOS settings maybe can help...
Let me know!

I found out the answer to all my problems!!
It was the MB Asus... It was defective. I bought a new EPOX 8RDA3I and I'm very pleased with it.
No more freezing, no more restarts...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back