TechSpot

keyboard issues with lag time

By ronin42
Sep 27, 2005
  1. :chef: Hello all, my first post here.
    I have an Alienware 51M 776 hooked to a Belkin SOHO 4 port KVM.
    I am using a PS/2 to USB 2.0 dongle.
    I am using an MS Natural keyboard which is one of the original ones from a half century ago.
    When typing papers and surfing etc.. no problem.
    When playing Battlefield 2, Doom3, Call of Duty etc.. anytime I move the character it occasionally stops moving, and of course I get whacked.
    Has anyone every had this problem? It doesn't effect my Desktop.
    I have no issues there, so I figured it had to be the USB connection.
    I normally use the caps lock key for moving but this problem shows up no matter what key I use to move with.
    I also have a wireless LX 700 Logitech.

I want to get a new ergo keyboard and the Logitech ergo one looks nice.

ej

2. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 510

Hi
    My guess is it's the kvm. As well, I don't like usb kb/m either, the latency for my use is too great, so ps2 all the way.

3. ronin42

ronin42 TS Rookie Topic Starter

keyboard lagtime

:chef: Everything plugged into the KVM is PS/2 except for the LX700 recharge/transceiver cradle which is USB.
    There isn't a noticable lag with the mouse, however the dongle on the laptop is a PS/2 to USB connection. There is no way to plug a PS/2 device into my alienware laptop.
    I had thought about getting a port replicator but couldn't find one that I thought would work.

4. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 510

Have you tested running sans kvm?

5. ronin42

ronin42 TS Rookie Topic Starter

keyboard lagtime

:chef: No I have not, I still have to use the dongle though since my keyboard only has ps/2 plug. It cross my mind though, but since it only effects me during game play I figured it was something else.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.