TechSpot

Keyboard Issues

By Vehementi
Feb 24, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having problems with a keyboard on a different system than this - It's an ABit BH-6 with a Pentium 3 550. The keyboard simply will not work. I tried it on this system and it works fine. It's completely dead - not even the caps, scroll and num lock lights work. Yes, it is plugged in. Are the PS/2 ports on my system board not working? A simple PS/2 - USB adapter will fix this. Is it something in the keyboard that makes it uncompatible with the board? It's not a device problem in Windows - I can't use it outside of it either (Like hitting del to enter my CMOS). Anyone have this same problem??
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Sounds very much like a dead ps/2 port to me...
    If it had been something else, you should've noticed it when you switched the keyboard from one 'puter to another.... (BTW: you did test with another keyboard on the BH-6?)
  3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Re: Re: Keyboard Issues

Though there is one thing I find a bit odd... You didn't mention any errormessages, and you should get one right after memory check...

But this just seem to confirm the faulty Ps/2 port, as it finds the keyboard, but won't give it the power it needs...

oh, well...

.02$
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

No error messages - nothing out of the ordinary. Boot up is perfectly normal.
    I tried a different keyboard on it...to no avail.
    PS/2 ports are dead then...
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

you might be lucky to get a PCI card with PS2 ports.... then you could use that....
  6. ToRN

ToRN TS Rookie Posts: 189

PSU

I had a similar problem. After 3 days of switching everything, I found the cause.

My PSU was bad, so there was some magnetic interferance and therefore my keyboard didn't work. I replaced the PSU and everything was OK.
  7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

I only replaced my sysbo, CPU and RAM. No change in PSU whatsoever...my keyboard isn't even closer to my tower.
    Besides, not even my mouse works in the PS/2 ports (it's USB).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.