Keyboard Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

I'm having problems with a keyboard on a different system than this - It's an ABit BH-6 with a Pentium 3 550. The keyboard simply will not work. I tried it on this system and it works fine. It's completely dead - not even the caps, scroll and num lock lights work. Yes, it is plugged in. Are the PS/2 ports on my system board not working? A simple PS/2 - USB adapter will fix this. Is it something in the keyboard that makes it uncompatible with the board? It's not a device problem in Windows - I can't use it outside of it either (Like hitting del to enter my CMOS). Anyone have this same problem??

Originally posted by Vehementi
Yes, it is plugged in. Are the PS/2 ports on my system board not working? A simple PS/2 - USB adapter will fix this. Is it something in the keyboard that makes it uncompatible with the board? It's not a device problem in Windows - I can't use it outside of it either (Like hitting del to enter my CMOS). Anyone have this same problem??

Sounds very much like a dead ps/2 port to me...
If it had been something else, you should've noticed it when you switched the keyboard from one 'puter to another.... (BTW: you did test with another keyboard on the BH-6?)

Re: Re: Keyboard Issues

Though there is one thing I find a bit odd... You didn't mention any errormessages, and you should get one right after memory check...

But this just seem to confirm the faulty Ps/2 port, as it finds the keyboard, but won't give it the power it needs...

oh, well...

.02$

No error messages - nothing out of the ordinary. Boot up is perfectly normal.
I tried a different keyboard on it...to no avail.
PS/2 ports are dead then...

PSU

I had a similar problem. After 3 days of switching everything, I found the cause.

My PSU was bad, so there was some magnetic interferance and therefore my keyboard didn't work. I replaced the PSU and everything was OK.

I only replaced my sysbo, CPU and RAM. No change in PSU whatsoever...my keyboard isn't even closer to my tower.
Besides, not even my mouse works in the PS/2 ports (it's USB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back