Keyboard Liquid Spill Problem

By dsexton
Nov 18, 2006
  1. Yesterday, I spill coffee on my laptop(Sony Vaio PCG-K13). Fortunately,everything works well EXCEPT
    1)When I turn on the computer now,it makes this loud beeping noise before a screen comes up asking me to select Profile1. Didn't have this problem before the spill.

2)All the keys + touchpad mouse works fine EXCEPT the spacebar,which doesn't function at all. Currently,I using the on-screen keyboard to insert spaces.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for addressing one or both problems?

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

ugh. ugly situation. At worst you may have shorted some component and ruined the motherboard (requires replacement). At best, it is a minor short and the keyboard may only require cleaning or replacement.
    Cleaning will require dissassembly of the laptop and electronics cleaning solvent.
    I do not recommend this for an average user. Laptops are very tricky to put back together. You would be better off getting a professional.

If the motherboard is ruined, you can buy a salvage model and use the hard drive, RAM, etc, that is in yours to make either the salvage model work, or use the salvage model for a motherboard part.
  3. dsexton

dsexton TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. I think I will seek a professional since I'm not that computer savy. Thanks again.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.