Keyboard/Mouse registry missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I did something dumb. My computer wouldn't read my diskdrive, and I found were I can delete a registry key to make it work. But while in there I think I also accidentally deleted another registry key. When I restarted my computer neither my keyboard or mouse will work. I have no way to get into my computer to fix the problem. If I put in my XP CD (if I can find it) won't I have to click on something to fix the problem? How can I do that when I have no input device. Secondly, I think it works, but haven't been able to check if my first fix to fix the missing D drive worked, so I may not have a disk drive on my puter anyway, and I don't have a floppy disk drive either. I do have a memory stick. I'm a mess and I have a game to play! So, can I fix this, or should I put my tail between my legs and run to my nearest PC fix it guy.

Happy Thanksgiving also.

WhosYurDanny said:
Hello, I did something dumb. My computer wouldn't read my diskdrive, and I found were I can delete a registry key to make it work. But while in there I think I also accidentally deleted another registry key. When I restarted my computer neither my keyboard or mouse will work. I have no way to get into my computer to fix the problem. If I put in my XP CD (if I can find it) won't I have to click on something to fix the problem? How can I do that when I have no input device. Secondly, I think it works, but haven't been able to check if my first fix to fix the missing D drive worked, so I may not have a disk drive on my puter anyway, and I don't have a floppy disk drive either. I do have a memory stick. I'm a mess and I have a game to play! So, can I fix this, or should I put my tail between my legs and run to my nearest PC fix it guy.

Happy Thanksgiving also.

Hi

Before we do anything, does the keyboard work enough to get you into the BIOS, if so then before windows XP boots to the splash screen, just after the post screen, hold down F8 to go into the startup actions screen and choose "last known good config" and see if that works, if not try "safe mode"

Or

Boot from the XP CD and go to the recovery console, your mouse and keyboard will work as XP isnt using the damaged drivers at this point, once in the recovery console enter "SFC /scannow" without the prompts and hit enter, XP will check all the system files and should replace any missing ones.

Or read this MS article about recovering from a registry fault.

Thats all I can suggest

Regards

Nothing works on the keyboard, no function keys at all. But, knowing that the system will read from the xp cd and not try reading the damaged keys should be a big help. Now, where did I put my XP CD?

Thanks for the info.

WhosYurDanny said:
Nothing works on the keyboard, no function keys at all. But, knowing that the system will read from the xp cd and not try reading the damaged keys should be a big help. Now, where did I put my XP CD?

Thanks for the info.

Sorry im a bit confused now, are you saying that the keyboard doesnt work at all, ie when you turn the PC on are you able to enter the BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL, if even this doesnt work then the keyboard/keyboard socket is definately faulty, or is it that it just doesnt work once windows boots up.??

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back