Keyboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

My keyboard currently keeps getting un-detected then re-detected. It's driving me nuts - it screws me over when I'm playing a game.

Now I know it could be defective, but it's only a little over a year old & I lost the reciept so I doubt Microsoft would honor the warranty... It's a Digital Pro keyboard.

Does anyone know anything software-wise that could cause this? I'm running an antivirus scan right now.

And here's my HJT log:

It's wired, I only have a wireless mouse. I do have a wireless keyboard, but it uses normal batteries so having to change it is just a pain in the **** ^^

Oh & I've tried different USB slots too...

Sounds like a bad connection to me. With things like keyboards and mice its a case of bin it and get a new one.
I gotta say, ive had a wireless kbd for over two and a half years now. Ive only had to replace the batteries once and the keyboard was £7 from ebuyer, major bargain i recon!!!

LOL Nice, but um... bad connection? Could you explain to me how it would be a bad connection? It's a wired connection going directly into the USB port... do you mean that the wire itself is faulty?

I'm still trying to ignore the fact that it's defective & focus on any software possibilities. My last resort will be to just buy another Microsoft Digital Pro - I've grown into this keyboard, I love the feel & comfort but it'll cost $45 bucks CAD for a new one :(

By bad connection, i mean it could be any number of things but the most common are...
Bad or broken solder joint on a component inside the keyboard.
Bad or broken solder joint inside the usb connector.
Break in the cable, most commonly where the cable exits the keaboard and where it exits the usb connector.
Finding any of these faults can be a very time consuming business.

D=

Again, I'd like to focus on any software possibilities. I rarely plug & unplug the USB cable. The last time I did it was a few weeks ago to open up my PC to clean the current fans, add new fans & install a new HD... Other than that & typing on the keyboard, I can't think of what could've happened to damage the wire or the USB plug.

I often repair things, from toasters to tv's to pc's. The chance that its a software problem is slim at best.

I will give you an example, a friend asked me to take a look at his wireless mouse. It did exactly the same thing, it connected then disconnected all the time, i replaced the usb connector on the reciever and it works fine to this day.

Crap it's definately hardware - it stopped working completely so I moved it to another comp, installed the drivers & still didn't work. I bring that computer's KB over to this comp (my main one) and works perfectly fine.

Any suggestions on repairing it? I'd really hate having to spend 45 bucks plus 14% tax on a new one.

It all depends on the equipment and knowledge you have. Are you prepared to have to take it apart and possibly solder it?

First thing id do is open it up, and either unplug or desolder the usb cable (making note of what wire connects where) and then buzz it through with a test meter. If you don't have a test meter then a battery and a bulb or led will suffice. There are 4 connections in usb, +5v, ground, data+, and data-. You need to check the continuity of all 4.
If one or more fail, then the cheapest cure is to buy a cheap usb extension cable, cut the socket off, and wire that up in place of your original cable.

... So much work... lol, I just found one for 5 bucks less at a local store - I think I'll just go buy a new one instead. And if I ever get around to it, try & repair this one. If it does get fixed, I can either replace the horrible keyboard I'm using right now which goes to my 2nd computer or just give it to a sibling (they're using $5 keyboards). LOL.

Well anyway, thanks for all your help.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager
YzShadow
PartyGaming\PartyPoker

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

YzShadow.exe
RunApp.exe
ViewMgr.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O4 - Startup: YzShadow.lnk = C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binar...nt.cab31267.cab

O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binar...wn.cab31267.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6D69E413-C148-4E5F-9D44-D5A7D3A8C039}: NameServer = 154.11.128.187,154.11.128.59<Only fix this, if it doesn`t belong to your ISP.

O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files(if there).

C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
C:\Program Files\YzShadow\YzShadow.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

I don`t know if any of the above will help with your keyboard problem, but it will help your computer.

Regards Howard :)

P.s HJT logs are meant to be posted in the security and the web forum and as an attachment.

Thanks Howard but it's definately a hardware problem, I tried it on my back-up computer and it failed. I bought a new one, plugged it in without modifying any of the drivers and immediately it works.

If I remove those lines on HiJackThis, wouldn't they affect "Party Poker" & make it unable to run anymore?

Also, "YzShadow.exe" I'm purposely using this - customized desktop ^^

Oh and my bad about posting the log like that, I'll be sure to post it as an attachment next time :).

YzShadow.exe is fair enough. the only reason I suggested removing it, is because it may have interfered with your keyboard.

Partypoker on the other hand is not a desirable programme to have on your computer. It is responsible for placing adware etc on your system.

At the end of the day, it`s upto you whether you get rid of it or keep it.

I`m glad to hear your keyboard problem is solved.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back