1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard will not work... Please Help!

By moneymark ยท 5 replies
Mar 21, 2008
  1. Hi, I'm new to the forum and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My PS2 keyboard suddenly stopped working, but the mouse is fine. I tried countless ways to correct it, checked connections, swapped the mouse over, bought a new keyboard, reinstalled drivers and so on but still won't work. I have also tried a USB keyboard but nothing...

I decided to do a complete reinstall of XP, however am now stuck midway as I can't complete the instal without a keyboard.

The keyboard will work in the BIOS mode, but once windows starts it won't respond, no lights, no nothing. If I unplug the keyboard and boot, it says no keyboard connected so reconnect and it sees it...

Could anyone advise what to try and and do next as I am at a loss.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I desperate to get this fixed...

Thanks in advance.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,246   +235

This is a desktop PC? USB keyboard doesn't work, PS2 keyboard doesn't work? How did you reinstall drivers without a keyboard? Something is fishy here

3. moneymark

moneymark TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes it is a desktop,

I was able to re-install the drivers using the mouse which still works fine.

When this did not resolve the problem I went for a full re-install.

4. Tmagic650

Bad motherboard?

5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,287   +98

I wouldn't think it's a bad motherboard if it works prior to the Windows environment.

6. Tmagic650

Now Windows won't complete the install (keyboard fails to function). I have seen this using USB keyboards but not with PS2 keyboards

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.