Khan Academy offers educational videos via BitTorrent

Emil

Staff

BitTorrent has released a new video catalogue app developed in partnership with the Khan Academy, a not-for-profit educational organization created with the stated mission "of providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere." The app offer over 2,000 educational videos that cover high school and college level curriculum. All of the videos are free to download and open licensed with Creative Commons.

The Khan Academy app is now available in BitTorrent's App Studio, which launched in August 2010 and is part of both the BitTorrent Mainline and µTorrent clients. Once installed, users can directly access and share free downloads of any of the Khan Academy video lessons. BitTorrent is also encouraging users to make financial contributions to support the Khan Academy either via the website or directly through the app's interface. The BitTorrent Mainline and µTorrent clients have a combined 100 million monthly user base, so this is a huge with for the Khan Academy.

"We're honored to support the Khan Academy's vision of bringing knowledge and education to the world," Shahi Ghanem, chief strategist at BitTorrent, said in a statement. "The Khan Academy app is a perfect example of why we created our App Studio platform: to help content creators connect with our global user base. In this instance we also enjoy the benefit of empowering a partner to provide tens of millions of people with free access to world-class educational content. This is a truly worthy cause. We look forward to continuing our work with the Khan Academy and other socially-conscious content creators as we foster new content distribution models."

Permalink to story.

"The BitTorrent Mainline and µTorrent clients have a combined 100 monthly user base, so this is a huge with for the Khan Academy."

100 million, it seems. :)

Anyway, this is really cool. I'd be curious to see what information these videos are built upon and how credible it truly is. Seems to fall in line with Obama's plan for education and data being widely available.

I've been watching the Khan academy videos since he only had about 300 of them up on his site. The guy, Salman Khan, who makes the videos is an absolute Genius.
I went back to highschool and passed that maths and then went onto college first year maths with the help of his vids. All passed!

Sal holds an MBA from Harvard Business School, where he was the president of his class. He also attended MIT, where he received 3 degrees: a Masters in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, a B.S. in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, and a B.S. in Mathematics.

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE! The weirdest thing is I was just sending some co-worker a message to check this site out and then I come here :p

Back