kicked of internet when others sign on

Status
Not open for further replies.
My regular computer is a Dell Dimension 3000. It’s running XP with Service Pack 2. I have McAffe anti-virus that I downloaded from AOL. I also just acquired a Dell Inspirion 600M laptop. It also has Xp and SP2 and I also have McAffe on the laptop. I have my regular computer hooked to Comcast broadband internet through a Motorola surfboard modem. I hook the laptop to the regular computer using a cat5 cable.
The problem is that when I am on the laptop and someone else gets on the reg computer (and connects to the internet)...I get kicked off the internet and cannot connect again until the other person gets off. I feel like I am doing something wrong on the most basic level. (duh) If there is anyone that can lend some advice, that would be cool.

Ps: I just found that it is when someone signs onto AOL, that I get kicked off. It is fine if they just open IE, but sign onto AOL and poof!

OMG. I am losing my mind. I've contacted AOL twice and they cannot get it through their minds that connecting to AOL kicks me totally offline on the laptop. They have it stuck in their mind that I am trying to sign into aol on both computers and that is the problem.

Why exactally are you even running AOL when you already have the best with Comcast??

a few things you can do get a hub and run the network wizard ... Or just pay for a nother Ip address...

I agree, get rid of AOL, you already have cable internet with Comcast, so why pay extra for AOL and its POS browser you don't need. Just buy a router and connect both systems to that.

I don't have it for myself. My kids got really attached to it. We've had it so long. They have all their crud saved and all that. So, when I am on comcast on the laptop and the kids sign on AOL, I lose all connection. I probably will just have the kids save all their stuff and cancel AOL. Dang, why do they have to bite so bad? AOL, not the kids.

can't the kids sign on through your comcast setup?
like once there on the connect go to aol website and sign in there
remove the aol software spam junk anyway setup your firefox browser for the kids(it has settings now that are kid safety protected)
setup open aol (there start page)when the browser launchs.

Samstoned said:
can't the kids sign on through your comcast setup?
like once there on the connect go to aol website and sign in there
remove the aol software spam junk anyway setup your firefox browser for the kids(it has settings now that are kid safety protected)
setup open aol (there start page)when the browser launchs.
I'll try that firefox browser. I am in the process of making new email names and having the kids set everything up there. Man, they are putting up a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back