TechSpot

Kim Dotcom launches MegaChat, his end-to-end encrypted 'Skype killer'

By Shawn Knight
Jan 22, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Making good on his word, Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has launched a browser-based chat service called MegaChat. Part of his Mega storage locker, the new service allows users to engage in end-to-end encrypted audio and video chat sessions.

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,183   +528

Wither it works or not. I'll probably not use it, but my bigger problem is that I have no one to talk to... :(

3. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

If you have to market your software as "X Killer" then it just tells us that your software isn't good enough to stand on it's own merits.

Not to mention this is so new you're supposed to just blindly trust this guy that it works. Lets see some public source code and audits done to ensure he's not just hyping.

With that said, Skype is pure garbage and I'm not defending it. I wouldn't dream of using the software outside of a sandboxed VM.

4. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Oh yeah, setting up my international ring of drug dealers with MegaChat right now.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,899

Good luck with that Kim!

6. If you really want a Skype killer check out Tox.

7. Kim Schitz, lol. I bet he needs to.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,505   +2,055

I know the feeling. Why do you think we all hang out here? :D

stewi0001 likes this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

I'm starting to realise that this boy is not the chump a lot of us mistook him to be, he has a way with the media like no other.

10. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,183   +528

funny story, I actually started watching this site because I was assigned to in a college class.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Don't be so modest. What you mean to say is that this site was assigned to you. (y);)