Kinect sells one million units in 10 days

By Jos
Nov 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has announced its hands-free motion controller Kinect just broke the 1 million units sold milestone. Not bad for an Xbox 360 accessory that costs almost as much as the console itself. The $150 camera device landed on U.S. store shelves just ten days ago and Europe on November 10, while a launch in Asia and Japan is scheduled for later this month. According to the company, by the holiday season, Kinect will be available in 60,000 retailers in 38 countries and it is already on pace to break the five million mark by the end of the year. Seems like motion control is here to stay.

Read the whole story
  2. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

awesome, now at least some xbox users will get a little exercise.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

These will be collecting dust in 6 months.
  4. Gars

Gars TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 227

i see some interest from dev's
    if that interest grows, this will become a killer bee for Apple's i[board][table] or whatever i-comes in the near future

Minority Report style?
    thats sounds more like Jean Michele Jar to me ;)
  5. blimp01

blimp01 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 157

that would be pretty fun, Wii elements with better graphics fianally!
  6. taea00

taea00 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102

While I'm not a big fan or Microsoft, xbox or motion gaming in general, seriously no buttons, the kinect has so much potential. I'm excited to see the open source community is already hacking this thing to pieces. Open source drivers in a week? Give it a few months and these drivers will be better than Microsoft's. This "gaming" device can be a complete game changer for the way we interface with computers on a daily basis.
  7. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

There probably several games that lend them to this device. Track and field, bowling ...

But do not think it would work for dungeon crawling or fps games. How do you turn a corner, select and cast a spell, how will it detect you pulling the trigger on your 12 gauge pump shotgun...

As someone else already said "These will be collecting dust in 6 months."
  8. Hargert

Hargert Newcomer, in training

There is no rule that the kinect can not be used with a control as well. So gears of war with a gun controller. Casting a spell can be done with the motion controls as well. This is a new technology and it will take time for people to come up with good ways to do things. Think back at the controller for the atari and compare that to the controllers of todays game systems.
  9. Johny47

Johny47 Newcomer, in training Posts: 157

Yeah because(honest and probably quite accurate stereotype ahead) most 360 users are fat, lazy, unhealthy Call of Duty lovers hahaha, I'm very sure I'll be 'hated' for this =P

I think the only good game for Kinect right now is Dance central and that's just ONE decent, responsive game up until around Christmas... wake up Microsoft xbox and get some really unique games =/
  10. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,572   +41

cant wait for starwars to come out in 2011 for kinect ill probably hold off until the prices drop to buy one ^^
  11. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 530

I thought MS wanted people to use in on there PCs anyway...
  12. Why would they release these products in other countries first? Why should other countries get the benefit of using the product first, especially when Microsoft is a US company.
  13. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

Waiting for PC.... launch..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.