TechSpot

Kingston or Samsung ?

By Deathrattle
Mar 21, 2005
  1. Hi

I want to buy a new stick of RAM (512meg PC3200 DDR400)

Well my problem is that i was going to buy CRUCIAL RAM
    But i discovered in my motherboard manual that there is a list of makes to use (and crucial aint there)
    It also says that using any other ram than the makes Tested , it could damage my mobo

So it looks like i have to buy KINGSTON or SAMSUNG

So which is the better RAM ...........Kingston or Samsung

thanks for help

2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

hi and welcome to Techspot

The best ram alot of people say is Kingston, its the most expencive but i have heard it works good so go for that, and where are you shoping for it. and if u dont mind how much are you paying for it if its over 70 its to much. and is it Dule chanel

swker98

3. Deathrattle

Deathrattle TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Ok I took your advice and ordered the kingston

I got it from Dabs.com for £40 , Its not for dual channel setup as unfortunately I couldnt afford two sticks just yet, Ill get another one next week when im paid.

As long as they have the same cas latency I should be able to run them in dual channel right ? ? or do i need to buy a dual channel kit for that ?

Its all a bit new to me is this dual channel game :giddy:

Thanks for your help ..........................John

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

For dual-channel to work, you need two sticks of the same size and type of memory, preferably (but not necessarily) from the same production-run or (best case scenario) as a matched pair. This last is more a sales-gag so the vendors can up the price.
    If you don't need the very last percent of speed from your PC, 2 equal sticks as described above will do fine.
    Read your mobo-manual where to put the sticks in to achieve dual-channel.

5. Deathrattle

Deathrattle TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

thanks for clearing that up for me :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.