Kingston v. Corsair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbabigsexy

OK, so I am building my new computer. I have the ASUS P5K3 motherboard on the way. I would love to install the DDR3, but that is a little bit too expensive for me at this time. So I will buy the DDR2 and upgrade later. My question is:

What's the better buy?

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/2G - Retail $114.99

or

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D - Retail $178.00

Now I plan on getting 4GB of ram. So I will obviously buy a double of whatever I get. Is the Corsair that much better than the Kingston that it is worth paying an extra $120 for? Also, is there another type of quality ram I could buy that would be better value? I don't mind paying the money because my computer is on the expensive end and I want the best quality. However, I have no idea how important quality of DDR is. If I got the expensive type, I assume it will make my computer light years faster than the cheaper kind. Also, can you mix and match DDR, and buy one of each?

Any suggestions would be great.....

Are you going to be running at stock speeds? If so get the Kingston. Typically when you see a price difference like that between the same speed RAM the more expensive one will be able to be overclocked higher. But if they are rated the same at stock (same timings too) they will be the same speed, so you'd gain nothing from the more expensive RAM. If you are going to be pushing them as fast as they can go, then the more expensive may be worth it.

Yes you 'can' mix and match, but it is strongly discouraged and your speeds will be limited by the slowest stick anyway.

thanks, that gave me a lot of info that ive been wanting to know about with the price differences on the same exact speed but differnet brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back