KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT HANDLED when "installing windows 2000"

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint01

I needed to wipe this machine clean and just start over. I did that, and now am getting this error. I can go through the initial windows 200 setup screen, but right before I am given any options, I get this error.

The harddrive has been fdisked and then formatted, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

Any thoughts?

try cleaning the CD and or the CD drive. There are usually three things that can cause this error while installing; a dirty or scratched disc, a dirty laser in the CD drive, or a problem with the HDD.

Possibility #2: Bad sectors on your hard drive

Possibility #3: Bad memory

There's plenty of more problems, but I'd check these things first, including the CD as Storm suggested.

If you're in doubt about the CD, you can xcopy all the cabs over to the HD local.. if you're getting errors from the HD, you also might need to load some extra drivers before installing- HD controller usually...

Edit: A quick google search, while not turning up any definite answers, typically points towards problems with the CD drivers that were loaded. Try copying over to the HD and see.

You can also download MemTest86 and check the RAM.

Usually with this error you'll get several hexidecimal numbers.. can you post the EXACT error message with numbers here? Usually those numbers give more information than the KMODE message does.

Everytime Ive gotten that error in 2000 it was because of bad RAM. The RAM worked fine in 98 but not in 2000 and XP.

that is interesting, because I swapped the RAM, and it still got a bad error. I swapped the drive, got the error again. I guess I will keep trying.

thanks, everyone

If you swapped RAM and HDDs and still get the error, odds are its either the CD or CD drive, though there is still the possibility it could be a bad RAM slot or the IDE controller.

Originally posted by saint01
that is interesting, because I swapped the RAM, and it still got a bad error. I swapped the drive, got the error again. I guess I will keep trying.

thanks, everyone

Yes! Definitely try a different CD and/or optical drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back