Not open for further replies.

GreenButt

I have tried the commands apt-get install pdksh and
apt-get install zsh
from within the shell, and get the same error messages for both

W: not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened

Am I entering the commands in the right place or should I be doing it during start-up? If so, how do I go about interupting the start-up process and entering the command?

The reason I need the Korn shell is that I am studying Unix, whilst I have managed to find alternative commands for set (awk) and print (echo) etc, I need to be able to practice these commands so as to pass my final test next week. I wrote my assignment scripts using my Knoppix 3.2 cd, but when I ftp'd them into Sun-Solaris, the amount of errors was not worth mentioning.

I would appreciate any advice or information you can provide.

Thank you very much

Are you running these commands as root? You are not supposed to be able to install anything as a normal user.
Is apt-get properly configured?

Do you even have to use apt-get? You may have better luck downloading and installing/compiling the thing manually.

Do they actually force you to use ksh on those Suns? There are shell alternatives that come with Solaris too. You definently have sh and probably tcsh too. If you have a caring administrator, you also have access to GNU set of utilities including bash.

Knoppix installation

GreenButt,

The Knoppix distribution of Linux runs directly from a CD-ROM. You are using the right command, but I do not believe that you can install new software when you run Knoppix from the CD-ROM. You must install it to the hard drive in order to do that.

Unfortunately, you have to set aside some hard drive partitions to do that. Generally speaking, repartitioning your hard drive will destroy anything on it.[1]

Good luck learning the different shells, though. Knoppix is an excellent way to learn your way around Linux.

[1] However, there are commercial utilities to repartition nondestructively, such as Partition Magic. Not the thing to experiment with when exams are coming up, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back