Kuma\war

nycgamer

Kuma\war ~

What do you guys think about the idea of being able to re-enact battles / war missions that have recently happened? Husseins sons were only recently killed and already KUMA\WAR lets you play through that very mission. I think it's a great idea, but at the same time I wonder if some people won't find it offensive. Re-enacting a war that happened decades ago is one thing, but this kind of technology has never been possible before, so I can't help but wonder if it's going to raise any issues. Opinions?

Thats interesting. I dont really see anything wrong with it but i definitely see how some people may be offended by it. For example the family members of soldiers who died in a recent battle or something. Thats my take on it.

by the way... nice to see someone else from NY on the boards. For a while now i've thought i was the only one!
-lalaji

What's up fellow New Yorkers...

Being a veteran...I think it's OK for games to emulate actual missions etc...yes, ANY family who's lost a loved one in this or any other war, may be offended, but they don't have to watch or play the game. I hate to sound callous about it, but each and every one of us who serverd voluntarily put our hand up and took an oath to do the job we do...and we all knew that dying in battle in come other country is a destinct possibility, especially in the world we live in today.

That's my 2 cents...

Hey there, glad to hear the voice of someone whos lived through the real thing. I definitely agree on the whole out of sight out of mind aspect. If they dont like it, dont play it. Developers, make whatever and worry about fallout later, if you make an amazing game, nobody can take that from you, no matter how controversial the theme.

Well, not EVERYONE goes to war by choice. ;)

War is a crummy thing, but the point of gaming is to have fun, compete and do thing you normally don't do.

Shooting thousands of commies with a variety of miliatary grade weaponry is indeed something that most people don't do. So it is fun to live out this fantasy on your computer.

Of course, the real thing is a little different... But I don't see any harm in it.

My only point was that there hasn't been a draft since Vietnam...anyone and everyone in Iraq or Afghanistan or Haiti or wherever else there is conflict now (and everyone who I served with in Iraq and Somalia), made a voluntarily choice to join the military. Many people still seem to think that the military is a great way to earn "free" money for college etc... but there is a price and a responsibility that goes with it, and unfortunately, when the proverbial crap hits the fan, many of us end up in harms way. It's part of the deal and everyone who signs up knows that when they put their hand up and take the oath. It does suck, and it's horrible and I truly feel for everyone serving right now, families included...but it's still part of the job. But let's not let this thread spin into a debate about this or that or the other thing (I have a habit of being long-winded)...:)

JB - USMC

Well, I know someone who is over in Iraq right now and, knowing him, he wouldn't have any problem with it. In fact, I'm sure he'll want to see it when he gets back. He's a fan of military shooting games for one thing.

Here's some shots from the game:

Searching for Bin Laden:
kumawar_022604_000.jpg

Uday and Qusay's hideout:
two.jpg

you-know-who:
five.jpg

I agree with you 100% nycgamer...I guess I am a huge shoote 'em up game fan for the same reasons as your friend is...give him my best when you talk to him next...

JB

Originally posted by lowman
I agree with you 100% nycgamer...I guess I am a huge shoote 'em up game fan for the same reasons as your friend is...give him my best when you talk to him next...

JB

Thanks JB ~ that's cool of you to say. I'll let him know you wished him your best; they need all the support they can get.

Did you guys see that they've replaced the KUMA\WAR beta with a new one? Is that the one you downloaded, Vassil?

This game is awesome, although after posting a whole thread and trying to figure out the reason, I discovered that I can only play KumaWar 1 missions with my video card! Definately a game to try out, but as for the offensive part, we haven't had a draft in forever, and if you think it's offensive, don't play it. It's as simple as that.

Back