KVM Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares878

I'm looking to buy a KVM switch. I want to be able to plug in my 1 monitor, logitech G15 keyboard, my Mx518 mouse, and two computers.

The problem I'm seeing when trying to select the right switch for me, is the fact that the g15 requires usb 2.0 to fully function and on top of that, a lot of power relatively speaking. Now, I know for a fact that it will have all basic functions with usb 1.1 drivers--but I want full function!

All of the switches I have been looking at are usb 1.0 or 1.1: example
For that example I had to ask their tech support what the usb technology was and I was told: "usb 1.1. That is all that's need for a keyboard to function."

Not only are most affordable--for my situation--switches usb 1.0 but they have no power cords as all the power is acquired through the usb connection supposedly.

So It seems my question is going to fall down to how usb works. If I plug my g15 and mouse into the main box of a kvm switch and it is a usb 1.0 port receiving the information (the switch is 1.0 and the keyboard is 2.0 for full functions)and then being sent out on a usb cable to a computer, will the computer receive the original usb 2.0 information? Or will it be reduced to 1.0, ie: my g15 will revert to basic function with no lcd display?

It seems logical that you can't reduce the quality of incoming info then reestablish it to the higher quality later on unless the middle device understands that higher level of quality; of course, in that situation it would never reduced the info.

By small chance, I hope there is someone out there with a g15 who uses a kvm switch and can give me some info.
I'm also just looking for any ideas and opinions from anyone.

Thank you.

I'm looking to buy a KVM switch. I want to be able to plug in my 1 monitor, logitech G15 keyboard, my Mx518 mouse, and two computers.

The problem I'm seeing when trying to select the right switch for me, is the fact that the g15 requires usb 2.0 to fully function and on top of that, a lot of power relatively speaking. Now, I know for a fact that it will have all basic functions with usb 1.1 drivers--but I want full function!

All of the switches I have been looking at are usb 1.0 or 1.1: example
For that example I had to ask their tech support what the usb technology was and I was told: "usb 1.1. That is all that's need for a keyboard to function."

Not only are most affordable--for my situation--switches usb 1.0 but they have no power cords as all the power is acquired through the usb connection supposedly.

So It seems my question is going to fall down to how usb works. If I plug my g15 and mouse into the main box of a kvm switch and it is a usb 1.0 port receiving the information (the switch is 1.0 and the keyboard is 2.0 for full functions)and then being sent out on a usb cable to a computer, will the computer receive the original usb 2.0 information? Or will it be reduced to 1.0, ie: my g15 will revert to basic function with no lcd display?

It seems logical that you can't reduce the quality of incoming info then reestablish it to the higher quality later on unless the middle device understands that higher level of quality; of course, in that situation it would never reduced the info.

By small chance, I hope there is someone out there with a g15 who uses a kvm switch and can give me some info.
I'm also just looking for any ideas and opinions from anyone.

Thank you.

Ares878 said:
...the fact that the g15 requires usb 2.0 to fully function... .

What makes you think that ?

I have found no reference to it being USB 2.0

If it isn`t a 2.0 interface then any USB 1.1 KVM will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back