TechSpot

Lag spikes During Games

By thomaslardner
Feb 16, 2008
  1. Hey ive been having problems with my internet gaming recently.
    I recently changed from DSL To Verizon FIOS internet
    and i also went from being directly connected to DSL to being wirelessly connected to FIOS.
    heres the problem
    ever since the change ive been getting lag spikes during games and sometimes being instantly disconnected.
    im pretty sure it has something to do with the wireless becuase i never had problems with direct connection through wired.

I've tried turning off WIreless zero config, but that doesnt work

any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
    please T.T im dying without my gaming needs.

2. AYTRIX-TEC

AYTRIX-TEC TS Rookie Posts: 65

Hi and welcome to the site!

i would have stayed with the DSL connection. as for gaming i stay away from Wireless when internet gaming. too much demand on the network and too many issues that could arize during gameplay.

When you connect to the internet make sure you have no extra applications running in the background such as antivirus updates etc. Does Verizon FIOS offer a DSL connection or is it ADSL connection?

Hope this helps

James

3. thomaslardner

thomaslardner TS Rookie Topic Starter

it offers a DSL connection
    Unfortunately i cannot change back into DSL

i was thinking i could just go hard wire. but the router is in my living room
    and im upstairs, does the length of the wire effect speed?

4. AYTRIX-TEC

AYTRIX-TEC TS Rookie Posts: 65

no the length of the cable should not effect the speed. course the idea of wireless is to do away with this lol.

I recommend getting a cable to travel this distance and if the lagging stops then u need to get in touch with FIOS see if their is an issue at their end. However some building have thick walls/floors etc and can effect signal strength.

hope this helps

James

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.